A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I can’t think of anything other than raising them on cement and away from the chickens. I think you may want to find someone to take them.

The only thing I know of was an arsenic based med that was discontinued several years ago. Arsenic as a medicine has some drawbacks.

@kfelton0002 what type of soil are you on? You will probably need to find someone a good distance from you..

Good Luck.

Ps, I am not @casportpony but I do portray her on TV..

:lau :lau :lau :gig

It is very sandy and rocky soil. We have a lot of sand stone.

My plan is to cover the dirt floor of the coop with plywood and put deep gravel out in the run. The coop/run is on a hill so no standing water or mud. I can make that a designated turkey area. I have been in contact with casportpony and she thinks it would do well to help protect them but no guarantee. I have been so sick today over this. My son wants turkeys so bad. It just doesn't seem fair. :(

I could sell some sand. Worm free to line the floors.

And next, I thought histostat was taken off the market.. https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015...roval-for-arsenic-based-drug-used-in-poultry/

But I don’t worry enough about blackhead to follow it too closely.

I have a few bags of play sand we bought for another purpose and ended up not using it. Would that be okay? It came from Walmart. Otherwise I was just going to to deep gravel in the run and plywood in the coop with straw. How does that sound? Concrete would be expensive and hard on their feet I would think.

I have a few bags of play sand we bought for another purpose and ended up not using it. Would that be okay? It came from Walmart. Otherwise I was just going to to deep gravel in the run and plywood in the coop with straw. How does that sound? Concrete would be expensive and hard on their feet I would think.
The goal is to keep them from eating earthworms and chicken poop. Compacted base rock is your best bet.

Anything worms can’t live in and that keeps chicken poo out should work.

There isn’t a self respecting worm within 20 miles of my sand dune.
Sand dunes do not discourage earthworms. I live on a sand dune and have lots of earthworms. I also have absolutely no issues with blackhead. Earthworms are not the only worms that can be carriers.

Blackhead can exist where there are no earthworms.

Sand dunes do not discourage earthworms. I live on a sand dune and have lots of earthworms. I also have absolutely no issues with blackhead. Earthworms are not the only worms that can be carriers.

Anything worms can’t live in and that keeps chicken poo out should work.

There isn’t a self respecting worm within 20 miles of my sand dune.

We have a lot of work to do on the coop/run but at least we know what we're up against. In a way its a good thing I found out now than well after my RPs got here and became exposed. I'll just have to be super careful and make sure no chickens get in and no turkeys get out of the designated coop/run I fix up.

We will have to agree to disagree on this. Most sources blame earthworms, a few talk about round worms.

Back
Top Bottom