A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Girlie! And I'm trilled to see other turkeys enjoying wading
pools!! Mine have wading pools & fans to keep cool!

Yours don’t count as normal turkeys. Believe it not. Most turkeys do not laze about sipping on mint juleps and ogling the neighborhood workers as they go about their day.... :lau

In other news, I have a soon to be mother of deceased hen.
I let them out late yesterday and then continued to my beehives. One of the girls was walking right behind me. I was overjoyed to have a turkey wanting to walk with me. I stopped at the first hive and she stopped about 20 ft back.

I went to the end of the bear fence turned left towards the other hive, she followed about 30 ft back. I turned l turned left again at corner and looked back and she was back on the main path headed south.

She stopped to watch me occasionally. She would walk into the pines, then come back out. It was obvious she was trying to fake me out as to where her nest is.

I was not going to let her win!

I faked her out by pretending to watch the bees. I followed her at a safe distance where she could never figure out I was following her.

She went around my land owner sanctioned illegal burn pile, created for the express purpose of disposing of brush and old lumber. The pile is large as it has not been burned in a couple years. She was looking at the pile, I knew the nest was in the pile. She walked around the pile and started into it.

I ran ( okay walked as fast as an old fat man with a bad foot can) around the pile to catch her on her nest. I rounded the corner of the pile to discover an UFO had been there first and snatched her up.

Also I could find no evidence of a nest or that she had ever been there. Those aliens in their UFOs are good and fast.

I think her nest is way inside the pile where only the rabbits live. I worry about her nest there as it is real close to where I see the coyotes. It’s about 1,000 ft from the barn.

PS. I am not ready to call the mixed variety turkey a hen yet. I would like to see top down back side head photo. The snood looks large for a hen, but there are not a lot of carbuncles. Being half BBW makes looking at the legs for sexing kind of worthless.

Clever hen. She was trying to psych you out. Aren't hens the best?

Virus surge here again. Closing up shops & bars again. Folks asked to stay home. Have to wear masks everywhere. Discontinued Daisy's strolls again. She's just to tempting for the neighbors
They all seem to take comfort hugging that pudgy hen. Even those who never hugged her want hugs. I just can't be around folks right now. I'm so tired of this. I really wonder where it's all going. I'm lucky....my neighbor goes to the grocery for me.

Girl...is she a BBW?

She is indeed.

PS. I am not ready to call the mixed variety turkey a hen yet. I would like to see top down back side head photo. The snood looks large for a hen, but there are not a lot of carbuncles. Being half BBW makes looking at the legs for sexing kind of worthless.

My turkey? Yeah, she's pure BBW, so she has giant legs and feet. I'll see if I can get a top down picture of her head.

She is indeed.

My turkey? Yeah, she's pure BBW, so she has giant legs and feet. I'll see if I can get a top down picture of her head.
Is she going to be invited to dinner?.... Heartbreakers to try and keep as pets... some people have managed, mine got too big

Is she going to be invited to dinner?.... Heartbreakers to try and keep as pets... some people have managed, mine got too big

She's a pet. She's a rescue from my job at a feed store. I take home the dying chicks when they come in. She lived after lots of TLC and tube feeding. So far, she seems to be doing okay. I picked her up today though and boy is she heavy. 'Luckily' she is stunted though, because of her rough start. So I'm thinking she's not going to get much bigger.

So, do we think Wishbone is a girl? I think she's a girl. She's still got the line of feathers up the back of her neck. Also I suspect Cranberry (the Tom) agrees with me that she's a girl because he follows her around displaying everywhere. (Please ignore the chaotic coop cleaning going on in the background, haha, I was in the process of replacing the floor tarp and the covering tarp.)

R8Ef-MyyxN2NggGOtkCzMxxJ94zOvkbLZoXsOUhwyXPN5VMlK0X5RH-4ZgCI4YpKgXqn1juaMMC8TuX6iiBnZ-aMWoraxnsGUProPFGmJScG0TJy3ald62iWgyFsGABaoPY5y_bZtTYoIgc8_P1aaFgBbDABmJnT1ALr09NGOlO85_d2Vh8dr_g4rVhEpj94p-ImUK7XWWZyHECTTJDsi1TKWydOo-0t40yFN6jOEjbpKK71JGTcbl70FxtgWO4jLSww6ZPDQhMZWnxKmHEiTMi1iQjUIdViq_F8Jeazb_q3eYYiPja4W06mw63qgZj_miLOxAhuoA-f1q-qW-pGEog6L6S3Foohae9FZaUu_gUSDwdLwWrJ_gCvSJ84n5lseNDttOmLfolNvlwMMOuP9JSxWtj05BnmaYBPI2LnegymnnLBH_7YhUFPvDesS3JyoomDZoeEF8ISScH0dcP8kOoN6xSo64-JGth8ldpDEd7rxIFp8OTjg_BXSWZ0_vaxE7tH7xswpp-HwoRrmHW8o_xo1m2zcYxMOkpQSgsMFZofUzSLv_AHed-cFoZPj50qtwcM2UGYh7saJpd9aS5PNrlr3EFTTbsTxUgnXPSkW9N0SQAg44TeUhBVRL7p6Xc1DFBAy0ySVWFBL0DbSJ_9Wu7Q8RaAQsL6IAA1WZOFZBYWkYjwHprbaPapDrE2Bg=w1250-h937-no

amGhTJdrC4WutvsV5DJbtzTdUHJ9W_bs3GAgcxZmyNUNr3aMuwCngdJ-fMkJYECBr80gQX6vThpcGMkf0p38R6mnhoauFMJ-ZlEgEhP05ehAabLUWrrmKzsl-xjqTX4Ppti7MaZNvzYXLXHMuGyKwxjN1FWXU0VtA-oReNLHRr6QeXN_nu7jWPdkkxiGuydgLxilniFpmwwUeup19DMdUJ972CFnozCzSE_hdqfBuhOfiwPWS6o3R8HgS_lfFnvJKCVcwDeu9YkxNH0d-goVLegPt4a8azNAtODp2vFjHBbAEpEWRCsLFZ__lTm__LJ3CAsdzH4EZO9pmaXbIPdncQppYpA68tNw_oOCKzSZRGfJ5I9EgMYNofBSq_uie2Y6FRD0XzJD5kgnupdWVutmVpgvImq8K0rgXj7Ssp1WQ1mweJIXCSD4p_GHMgfN_HoPQ8FZho9Bltp6j-BttZdWmeHen2fgk0KyXWSqSuzGZ3-bnUYuj2pjOFpDztilfsPaPJSHr7xMuLNY2nXKAu1cp36JkyCcTfi7hsTD_cbEsWmCYNd0MgPAsFJ6bmTX0GcrLks3zE-JW_qUvva8qG5d-b-3mRYMzx4B7YtvqmG0eALH4H2ktYUl9dQa8YZdUVs6oOXsKTEZZI-6n-56gBp0G_8QVk9oJb_uB0S3v9bvhM77G73ES_HfIZW7-9yImw=w1250-h937-no

Also here she is pretending to be a duck:

M7OGZ0EIWrv75hUZpSQILIv7z85qushszLAk91PIex4J5qUeqYwl99wLx8Yfvzva1I_yfzY-6NPENY0ANGauBJl1KBPxlv-QbwEQ4_3x6bdqGfpWa7X0L42aBy2dYQ4FbrHBTYE64tdB5UT-iM66DX3QVXMkOnE3V7U5-XbuLUtQa1FQaLVb-m5aJsguDs8-Zdsg5tyTU6be6ZffNNDsG9qQgvJTQ_6vyBJmwpoUKuVi3dItmmppkF7mQXgkoznHUj2IX7jCQSwp3CjjGuGPENj7zUsVL8i33N2uXbiVFtf6dS4x08KflOzmaTcxseshpXmT_6cq88JOTm4hv4T_ENRru4p91vxV1Ncu3JRThgyjGaVJEErXJfeT7DKrgOzHfi5DlyvwLlJWo_8W7E-RuuMCvKwAN_ckli2Rlbdv91w4cn3IFhslAxzNa1bBF87sFfDy8p0R5gEGNlvDldAzMDfZE9Kt4c_Mba5unLAuOSowD-IYSVoogVUVj0L06dwNCtuKJtcTjJW2epvWEoszZrhrTkvwEfg4ccUECytQN9PTcL8y5R0rrNpvkm7b0g6qBt8J5tygdx_2s_9VYzkgOfZK4CQuxNKmPq_aTxglVVELf7NJHIqchPsE2Y3ZDJzdELURurxIxHLFP1YIXDyt8bc8tsc45W8OaYU318i2l3JWZ2Uh4qVkencxkxsr1g=w1250-h937-no
I think Wishbone is a lovely lady.

Anyone in iowa or the mid west area deal with bourbon reds? We just moved here this year and I'm trying to price my flock competitively, but cant find any prices on Google, craigslist, or FB for my region. What do you sell Tom's, Jake's, and hens for? And how much per pound for meat? Was thinking 70 for Tom's, 50 for jakes, 40 for hens, and 7 per pound for meat.

Anyone in iowa or the mid west area deal with bourbon reds? We just moved here this year and I'm trying to price my flock competitively, but cant find any prices on Google, craigslist, or FB for my region. What do you sell Tom's, Jake's, and hens for? And how much per pound for meat? Was thinking 70 for Tom's, 50 for jakes, 40 for hens, and 7 per pound for meat.
I could only dream of getting prices like that..

I can get 20 bucks a bird on a good day.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom