A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Anyone in iowa or the mid west area deal with bourbon reds? We just moved here this year and I'm trying to price my flock competitively, but cant find any prices on Google, craigslist, or FB for my region. What do you sell Tom's, Jake's, and hens for? And how much per pound for meat? Was thinking 70 for Tom's, 50 for jakes, 40 for hens, and 7 per pound for meat.
I don't know if this will help but I sold a 2 year old bourbon Red hen for $50 in the last month. I'm in northern California though. Also sold 2 year old slate hens for $50 each and a 2 year old standard Bronze Tom for $80.

If you aren't seeing them listed, I would think either there's no demand so no one bothers to list, or they get sold as soon as they list. Or there's no supply. Have you checked bulletin boards at the feedstores? The ones near me usually have ads and they are usually different than the ones I see on Craigslist or FB.

Anyone in iowa or the mid west area deal with bourbon reds? We just moved here this year and I'm trying to price my flock competitively, but cant find any prices on Google, craigslist, or FB for my region. What do you sell Tom's, Jake's, and hens for? And how much per pound for meat? Was thinking 70 for Tom's, 50 for jakes, 40 for hens, and 7 per pound for meat.
I'm in northern Illinois and get 35 to 30 for hens. I invite the jakes and toms to dinner. So when someone asks to buy I tell them 75... so far no one has bought one :lau ... Except my feed guy, he traded $90 of feed for a dressed 12lb jake

I charge 50 for mature, ready to breed yearling toms and hens, 25 for sexed Jakes and Jennies, 20 for unsexed over 8 weeks, and 15 for poults under 8 weeks. There's very little competition in Montana, though. Here be cattle country. Funnily enough, I sold 20 for 20 each to be used as bug control. Hoppers are really bad this year, yet around my house you wouldn't know. My dad is actually working on converting an old hay wagon that's been sitting derelict in the implement graveyard into a portable turkey house for my hay fields for next year's hay season. The weevils ruined my alfalfa this year, and the hoppers. I only got about 1100 small squares averaging about 80 lbs each off 45 acres, so I'm going to be working on major improvement for next year. Gonna do some soil sampling( the alfalfa loss really hurt the nitrogen) and then do the 33 acre field. Sadly, we don't know how long we will have the lease on the 22 acre field, so we just don't sink a lot of improvement dollars into it, and it is probably 2/3 dryland hay on that side, so I put all my focus on the 33 acre side( yes, 10 acres of the 33 acres is not all usable, it's a floodplain and a ravine, but it's used as horse pasture) so we use flood style and gated pipe and so there's quite a few dry points because the ground isn't even, but it's good enough for a bit annual lease, although I've been reassured that I've got priority on the main field for probably the next 30 years, which is pretty great.
Anyways, I've had lots of interest this year in poultry. It's something people are panic buying, so be sure to watch out whom you sell to out there!

Back
Top Bottom