A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hi all. I have a few turkey pics and a couple of questions.

Is it normal for a bourbon red to have a white chest marking?

SloGin
slogin1.jpg

SloGin and Martini Bat

slogin_martini1.jpg

Martini Bat

martini1.jpg

This is my black slate out of blue slates - Spook. But is she truly "black"?

black_slate_spook1.jpg

black_slate_spook2.jpg

Right now I am up to (I think) 28 turkeys. :O

Hi all. I have a few turkey pics and a couple of questions.

Is it normal for a bourbon red to have a white chest marking?

SloGin
View attachment 2350908

SloGin and Martini Bat

View attachment 2350909

Martini Bat

View attachment 2350910

This is my black slate out of blue slates - Spook. But is she truly "black"?

View attachment 2350914

View attachment 2350915

Right now I am up to (I think) 28 turkeys. :O
It is not normal for a Bourbon Red to have a white chest. You may want to share that picture with Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

The Black looks like the blacks that I produced from Blue Slate turkeys. Some companies sell them as blacks and some disreputable companies sell them as Spanish Blacks.

It is not normal for a Bourbon Red to have a white chest. You may want to share that picture with Kevin Porter at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys.

The Black looks like the blacks that I produced from Blue Slate turkeys. Some companies sell them as blacks and some disreputable companies sell them as Spanish Blacks.
Thanks R2elk - Those two came from eggs bought online - out of Wisconsin. I wasn't sure if it was just juvenile feathers or what - but it doesn't seem to be going away.

The black is sorta "mottled" colored - at least that was my guess. Doesn't surprise me that people would sell them as Spanish Blacks - especially since all the ones I saw were just "black".

Will show Kevin the photo. My sister also bought another bourbon red for me. This is Scarlett.

scarlett1.jpg

scarlett2.jpg

Study on hatching turkey eggs... lower fan speed , higher co2 for late hatchers
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/arti...ts-and-sensitivities-of-turkey-egg-incubation
The part about increasing the CO2 late in the incubation is totally backwards. Studies have shown that slightly higher CO2 levels during the start of incubation can cause the embryos to become stronger.

Nearing hatch time, CO2 levels increase naturally. Too high of CO2 levels (a definite problem when hatching at altitude) will cause the poults to die in the shell.

I can definitely see where a slower fan speed during lockdown would be beneficial especially when using a cabinet incubator or hatcher.

Last edited:
The part about increasing the CO2 late in the incubation is totally backwards. Studies have shown that slightly higher CO2 levels during the start of incubation can cause the embryos to become stronger.

Nearing hatch time, CO2 levels increase naturally. Too high of CO2 levels (a definite problem when hatching at altitude) will cause the poults to die in the shell.

I can definitely see where a slower fan speed during lockdown would be beneficial especially when using a cabinet incubator or hatcher.
Seems like the co2 was for late hatchers. Which are the weak ones in my hatches. I would think the lower fan speed would decrease air exchange and increase ço2

Their claims that turkey egg are hard to hatch is not true in my experience.
Lots of people seem to have issues. I mostly use hens for turkeys.
I have better luck with chicken eggs in the incubator than under a hen. But I have big clumsy chicken hens that break chicken eggs.

Back
Top Bottom