A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I use paper towel instead of newspaper so they get that good grip on their feet. I also scatter turkey food on the floor of the brooder to get them started. They figure it out pretty fast. I tend to agree they may have been over handled and refused to eat due to stress. Turkey poults are more delicate than chicks.

stuff like scrambled eggs can be eaten by human babies with no teeth, so I assume birds can eat it without grit. i think it is the tough, fibrous stuff (like grass) that might need grit.
Um....
Raw egg yolk they could digest, otherwise I suggest you have sand or something for grit for them to eat.

Human babies do not have crops, or gizzards. Gizzards require grit to work.
This ^^^^^^
Crop and gizzard

I use paper towel instead of newspaper so they get that good grip on their feet. I also scatter turkey food on the floor of the brooder to get them started. They figure it out pretty fast. I tend to agree they may have been over handled and refused to eat due to stress. Turkey poults are more delicate than chicks.
Yes I agree paper towels are better than newspaper. Newspaper can be slippery and cause leg and hip problems. Things like splay leg. I know a lot of people use it with no problems but y take the chance.

Two Toms can live together but they will fight some.

You might be better off with two Toms than a tom and a hen. If you just have one hen it could be bred to death.
oh, ok. sooo if one tom is younger will they still fight? also, will they fight over my chickens if the chickens are in a pen that is 3 feet away? sorry, theese are my first turkeys. I got them both pretty oblivious to the big world of turkeys.the older one is a rescue, most likely under the agfe of 2. the young one is 5-6 weeks old. the older one is pretty timid

oh, ok. sooo if one tom is younger will they still fight? also, will they fight over my chickens if the chickens are in a pen that is 3 feet away? sorry, theese are my first turkeys. I got them both pretty oblivious to the big world of turkeys.the older one is a rescue, most likely under the agfe of 2. the young one is 5-6 weeks old. the older one is pretty timid
It is never a good idea to keep toms that do not have their own turkey hens with chickens. It is a recipe for dead chickens.

I use my old towels and wash them have used them for years. Also sprinkle feed on floor with feeder in far corner waterer closer to were they hang out . Dip into water for a taste and then food and within hours they are pecking food on floor and not long after they are drinking from waterer. never had any problem with poults eating. Eating and drinking from feeders and waterers within a day if not hours. I have them on the towels for a few days or maybe a week until they are stronger and steady. Then move them to main brooders on large pine shavings so they do not tend to be able to eat them. And everything seems to work great for me. Never tried sand but that sounds like something I may try. Sounds easy to clean and works as a grit when they eat a little.

1620434875246.png

Getting my eggs started. I've never done an incubator hatch before so I'm nervous and excited, haha. Either way it'll be a learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom