A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

plz send rain. send now. plz & ty

We could definitely use some rain out here too! Has been low 100s and major fire hazards. In fact had a fire a couple blocks away the other day...and yet all the fireworks stands are coming out in full force anyways..even though we are in a pretty good drought

If I could send some of our rain to you guys, I gladly would! It's been raining so much here this year it's rediculous! This week has been an exception with cooler temps and less humidity but the past month or two has been super humid and wet. It's felt like a greenhouse outside every day! We've had freakishly monstrous dandelions everywhere and our little pine tree has grown by at least a foot! It started raining again last night :/ The universe must have noticed that we've almost got caught up with the grass cutting at work...

This week's bug eyed babies :) I may keep the one that looks chocolate and the big, pure white one just to see what they grow in to. My turkey flock is getting a bit too big though and only 2 are lined up for freezer camp....

20210618_162037.jpg
20210618_162030.jpg

had an interesting time at my sister's house helping with her commercial poultry place. unfortunately she said her contract doesn't allow pictures, but the birds are fat rolly pollies that are perfectly content to just eat, sleep, and poop while wandering around bonkers huge barns. They bred the fight out of those birds, they are so amicable as to be disinterested in aggression at all, but they definitely part like the sea as you walk through them. the ventilation system in those barns is incredible. there would not be another way to have such a large group without some serious precision ventilation and environmental systems. the barns are nearly automated. super neat.

I had an interesting occurance. while i was gone, another hen hatched some poults. she hatched, we believe, somewhere around a dozen poults. another hen was also setting on a nest. when she heard those other poults, she decided that she would rather steal poults than continue setting on her nest, so she abandoned her nest and was sucessfull in coaxing some poults. unfortunately, her nest was alive when she abandoned it on saturday, which was days before i made it home. I thought there was no way anything survived on the abandoned nest. miraculously, i heard very weak cheeping on WEDNESDAY from the abandoned nest. I look over and see a POULT HAD JUST HATCHED from a nest that had been abandonded for 4 DAYS! the little guy was so weak it could not lift its head. it was desperately chilled, even though it was so hot out, which is likely what saved it. the real question is how it survived in the shell when the temps dipped into the 60s every night. I warmed it up in my shirt, and had it hang out with me watching tv under my shirt for 3 hours warming it and talking to it. I needed to go to bed at that point so i put it into the baby brooder with poults a week and a half older and crossed my fingers. The little guy came through! 3 days later and this little black poult acts like nothing happened. What a survivor! I can't begrudge a little one like that, I must name it Lucky. I have to decide what to do if it is male....

had an interesting time at my sister's house helping with her commercial poultry place. unfortunately she said her contract doesn't allow pictures, but the birds are fat rolly pollies that are perfectly content to just eat, sleep, and poop while wandering around bonkers huge barns. They bred the fight out of those birds, they are so amicable as to be disinterested in aggression at all, but they definitely part like the sea as you walk through them. the ventilation system in those barns is incredible. there would not be another way to have such a large group without some serious precision ventilation and environmental systems. the barns are nearly automated. super neat.

I was at a commercial "free range" organic, egg farm once. Before my Pappy passed away, he took us to his friend's house who owned it. Since he knew we raised chickens, he thought it would be neat for us to see. It is rather incredible to see so many hens like that in one huge barn. I believe they said there were 10,000! The nest boxes were all in a line along the middle and had a conveyer belt that popped out in to a little room at the end. You just had to push a button and the eggs would come to you. I wish I had taken some pictures but I didn't know if I was allowed. The definition of "free range" is crazy though. There were like 10 pop doors on each side of the barn. The fence was only about 10' away from the barn and was all gravel. I was shocked how few hens managed to figure out how to go out but the ones that did were sun bathing everywhere.

and yet all the fireworks stands are coming out in full force anyways..even though we are in a pretty good drought
I hate fireworks season. I don’t mind it myself, but my dogs get so scared from all the surrounding private ones, starting just before 4th of July. In Indiana, there is only a 2 week period when they are allowed. My poor dogs start quaking at dusk because they know what’s coming.

Well yesterday some folks must have felt that the new Juneteenth holiday meant they could shoot off fireworks early. 😡 I sure hope Indiana doesn’t increase the legally allowed period for them!

I hate fireworks season. I don’t mind it myself, but my dogs get so scared from all the surrounding private ones, starting just before 4th of July. In Indiana, there is only a 2 week period when they are allowed. My poor dogs start quaking at dusk because they know what’s coming.

Well yesterday some folks must have felt that the new Juneteenth holiday meant they could shoot off fireworks early. 😡 I sure hope Indiana doesn’t increase the legally allowed period for them!
They started here before June 1st 🤬 unfortunately that Indiana law is not enforced here.

They started here before June 1st 🤬 unfortunately that Indiana law is not enforced here.

I don't think there is a law here that says when you can and can't set stuff off. I've already seen pipers and small fountains at work. I can only imagine what's getting set off down in the city right now. Out in Oregon where my brother lives, he told us it's not the 4th of July unless the butte catches fire

Back
Top Bottom