A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

All 9 of my girls got fresh, brand new saddles today. A couple of the old ones were missing, a couple were stuck on sideways (holes got filled with dirt and weighted them over to one side), and a couple were just terrible and worn out. Here was Sweet Pea's saddle which she had been wearing probably 3 years straight! It did its job lol

View attachment 3020812

A few of you will remember back when I first started experimenting with making turkey saddles and Sweet Pea was my first victim.... We've come a long way lol

Maybe tomorrow I'll remember to take my phone out with me and get some pictures of the girls while their new saddles are still fresh, clean and new
Holy moly that thing is destroyed, LOL. Reminds me I'll have to order 3 new ones from you later this year for my 3 yearlings. They are gonna hate me lol.

No eggs here just yet! The girls finally got to run free yesterday; I threw Gobbler (my old BR tom) out to supervise them. Or maybe it was the other way around?

Hoping they don't lay until April. I should be done night-calving by then, and that gives me time to make some necessary repairs / improvements to my poultry enclosures. I can't have them constantly free-range while laying, 'cause their nest of choice is the heavy equipment chairs...

I still need to pick out a replacement BR tom from last year's Porter batch. I have two home-bred toms from a previous hatching, but they're slated for the freezer. They've taken a sudden dislike to my muck boots and attack every time I'm in their pen. Grabbing them, flattening / carrying them, and giving them a firm swat does nothing but make them angrier. Never had mean toms like that.

I got pictures of the ladies in their new saddles this morning. The boys seem quite pleased :) The pen is a huge muddy mess though. We're expecting up to 12" of snow tomorrow so there's no point in attempting to do anything with it at all yet.

Princess and Bella

20220311_081745.jpg

Princess, Cynthia, and May

20220311_081809.jpg

Princess

20220311_081817.jpg

Pebbles and Sweet Pea

20220311_081859.jpg

From Romeo around left, Lil, May (back), Cynthia, Bella, Pebbles, Baby, Nibbles, and Princess

20220311_081919.jpg
20220311_082115.jpg

Miss May

20220311_082009.jpg

Romeo, Phil and Rusty all showing off

20220311_082250.jpg

The pen is a huge muddy mess though. We're expecting up to 12" of snow tomorrow
I know what you mean about everything being muddy. Just started to dry up a little yesterday and woke up to everything white and still snowing, supposed to get more tomorrow. Hard to keep breeding birds out of mud, keep eggs/nests clean.

Back
Top Bottom