A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Had a sweetgrass that hatched 2 days after the others and was born with crooked toes. She walked on her closed foot like a fist. We were going to put her down but she is so fiesty and vigorous. I made her a shoe to straighten her toes out.

Screenshot_20240427_160006_Gallery.jpg

Had a sweetgrass that hatched 2 days after the others and was born with crooked toes. She walked on her closed foot like a fist. We were going to put her down but she is so fiesty and vigorous. I made her a shoe to straighten her toes out.

View attachment 3814044
I have had that happen a few times. As long as they are feisty, I usually give them a chance and make the boot. If they are lacking and seem weak, they get culled.

I think I hatched out a regal red poult?

It came from my red turkeys, of which my male and 2/3 of my females are bb’, and it’s super white. It’s the first poult of the year to hatch from them too, which is exciting. I wasn’t sure whether I’d actually get any. Hopefully it does wind up solid red as an adult.View attachment 3815254View attachment 3815255
So cute!! Post pics as it grows!

We will be butchering the red sweetgrass tom tomorrow. I don't need him for breeding, and I have too many toms. I raised him from a poult so I won't be involved in the dispatching part since it makes me sad. I have been able to maintain a distance from him emotionally because I knew we would have to cull through the toms. Never any cuddling or unnecessary handling. But he's a gentle bird so it makes me sad. I can't help it.

We will do the crooked breasted sweetgrass soon also. Since the crooked breasted sweetgrass won't be a year old until June, I would like to give him at least until then to fill out before butchering. He and the red sweetgrass are good buddies, so I hope he doesn't miss him too much. Sassy likes to keep her adopted cockerel in the goat lot with the two bachelors, so she can keep him company when the red sweetgrass is gone until his time comes. We are growing out all of the poults I am hatching, so we will have plenty more to cull through to fill the freezer.

We will be butchering the red sweetgrass tom tomorrow. I don't need him for breeding, and I have too many toms. I raised him from a poult so I won't be involved in the dispatching part since it makes me sad. I have been able to maintain a distance from him emotionally because I knew we would have to cull through the toms. Never any cuddling or unnecessary handling. But he's a gentle bird so it makes me sad. I can't help it.

We will do the crooked breasted sweetgrass soon also. Since the crooked breasted sweetgrass won't be a year old until June, I would like to give him at least until then to fill out before butchering. He and the red sweetgrass are good buddies, so I hope he doesn't miss him too much. Sassy likes to keep her adopted cockerel in the goat lot with the two bachelors, so she can keep him company when the red sweetgrass is gone until his time comes. We are growing out all of the poults I am hatching, so we will have plenty more to cull through to fill the freezer.
Yeah I just butchered a tom that was king last spring and was injured when he was deposed by a nephew. I should have butched him then...or mid summer when he twisted half a wing off a late poult. But I waited until last week. Only reason I did the deed was eggs hatching this week and I know he can't be trusted around them.
I miss him though, but he will taste good.

Yeah I just butchered a tom that was king last spring and was injured when he was deposed by a nephew. I should have butched him then...or mid summer when he twisted half a wing off a late poult. But I waited until last week. Only reason I did the deed was eggs hatching this week and I know he can't be trusted around them.
I miss him though, but he will taste good.
Yeah I know what you mean. If a tom has a nasty attitude, is rough on the hens, or kills hens or young birds that warrants a trip to freezer camp. The red sweetgrass is none of those things, but we don't really need so many toms.

I can only justify keeping what I absolutely have to keep, the rest is just an expense. I justified keeping the red sweetgrass this long because I was using him in with my LGD pups to train them with poultry. They are pretty reliable now, especially with turkeys. No losses or injuries since they injured the hen back in December or January. Lost a few roosters we had in there but that goes with training new dogs.

I will miss the red sweetgrass, but it's like my husband said, "it's what we got them for." That will put me down to 3 toms, 2 once we butcher the crooked breasted sweetgrass. Harvey, the semi penciled Harvest Gold and Ruger, the Narragansett. Ruger is like a dog and even comes when you call him, so he is a permanent fixture in our yard. We also have the jake that is silver dapple vs some form of mottled variation with cm, he is nearly 5 months old now, as well as many other jake grow outs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom