A chick pipped & died. What about the rest?

smithychick

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2015
I have never had a chick that pipped & didn't hatch out healthy. I'm heartbroken but worse now I'm scared for the rest. I set 7 eggs, 1 hatched last night & one this morning. I moved them to the brooder together. Then 3 more pipped. Humidity has been low but I didn't want to open the bator. Finally, after a few hours, I couldn't take it anymore. There was no progress on the other three at all. The one that didn't make it has a very tough, dry membrane. I made a slightly larger breathing area for the other two pips to help avoid suffocation but I don't know if I should do more! They are both still trying on & off but I'm sure they are wearing out. They have been pipped since this morning.

It's always best to open up the incubator and add moisture rather than letting the membranes dry out too much. It may be too late. Get that humidity up ASAP. It's more important than a breathing hole at this point. They already piped, and made their own breathing hole. Put them on a damp paper towel and throw some pieces of wet sponge in there. Get that humidity up, or you will loose them.

It's always best to open up the incubator and add moisture rather than letting the membranes dry out too much. It may be too late. Get that humidity up ASAP. It's more important than a breathing hole at this point. They already piped, and made their own breathing hole. Put them on a damp paper towel and throw some pieces of wet sponge in there. Get that humidity up, or you will loose them.

X2

I have them on wet paper towels now. Humidity is up over 70%. I've only hatched in the summer & florida humidity is never a problem. This sucks. They both have a zip about an inch long but I helped do that & they haven't done much else. I'm sooooo sad. Plus there are two more that haven't even pipped.

Back
Top Bottom