a chickens memory

Bird Hearder

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Salisbury, Md.
Do they remember?
Reason I ask is.
our Daughter brought us 2 more Red Stars which are the sisters of the first 4 she brought us 6 weeks ago. and they have grown so much in that time.
Wondering if they will remember each other and get along.
Also getting a Bantam Roo.
Thanks

Hmmmm... That's a good question! I really can't help you there, however. I do know that once they see a snake on their roosts it takes them a few days to forget that the snake was there and to use the roosts once again!

I would think that they would. They are going to "remember" using all their senses. Also, its only been a few weeks, not years and years.

I think chickens are smarter than people give them credit for (not BYCers).

I know this is an old thread, but is the only one I could find on chicken memory.
I wanted to use an existing thread rather than start a new thread, no need to reinvent the wheel today.

Watching some vids about raising chickens and various methods I saw one vid on cage raised leghorns, 5 to a cage. The reasoning involved chicken memory. Large chicken houses with hundreds or thousands of chickens just confused them. They stated that chickens can only remember about 50 chickens in order to maintain the pecking order and more than that will confuse them. Every large egg producer has moved away from floor raised chickens system or single birds to a cage system to the 5 birds to a cage system to improve the birds well being and improve egg production. Also, a lone bird in a cage could not take part in flock behavior, another necessity for bird health. A happier bird is a productive bird.

If I find the video again I will post it.

Back
Top Bottom