A classic game of pullet or cockerel

Jan 7, 2021
Ontario Canada
3-4 week old, I bought as a supposedly midnight majesty maran along with another chick who was supposed to be the same breed but is looking more like a sapphire gem . They are from peavey and so should be sexed female but not 100 garunteed, I've also never had a single comb pullet not sure how fast combs/waddle grow for them. Would be curious to have more experienced chicken keepers opinions.

Attachments

• 20230724_193644.jpg
    20230724_193644.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 97
The feathers growing near the head and the comb/waddle make me want to say cockerel. You’ll definitely have to see how the tail feathers come in and the pattern in general. Overall a pretty ambiguous chick. I am leaning towards cockerel.

If it is a Midnight Majesty Marans, the males should be barred. I don’t see that your chick has feathered legs in the photo, but they can have clean legs according to Hoover’s site (the only place that sells them under this name, as it is a registered trademark). I don’t see barring here, so it should be female if the breed is correct.

If it is a Midnight Majesty Marans, the males should be barred. I don’t see that your chick has feathered legs in the photo, but they can have clean legs according to Hoover’s site (the only place that sells them under this name, as it is a registered trademark). I don’t see barring here, so it should be female if the breed is correct.
Thank you, I really hope you are right, I did read about the males being barred. I keep second guessing the breed although I did see some copper feathers coming in so 🤞

Back
Top Bottom