A contest for the duds!

@PirateGirl Congrats on the final girl laying!!

At 23 weeks I had my first girl lay an egg. It came from one of my Easter Eggers, Cleopatra.
IMG_20180207_173332653.jpg

IMG_20180205_121443871.jpg

Congratulations @PirateGirl and @shadowfox !! :wee

We finally got our last layer, Holly, (the solar powered sunbather in my avatar) to actually lay IN THE NEST BOXES. She's the longest of the birds and didn't feel she could turn around in one, so she took to laying on the floor under the roosts. I had to pull a nest box divider out to give us two nest boxes and one nest "suite" (about 2ft x 1ft x 1ft)... she is now using that.

Hooray for a full-fledged flock!!

I think I may have a dud. I have 4 hens born 3/23/17. Penguin (Black Australorp) laid 8/1 at 18.5 weeks. Fancy (Speckled Sussex) laid 9/17 at 25.5 weeks. Cheeks (Easter Egger) laid 9/28 at 27.5 weeks. Buffy (Buff Orpington) either laid the large egg in the picture on 10/3 at 27.5 weeks or hasn't laid anything at all and that was a large egg from Penguin. Can anyone tell from the picture if that is from a Buff Orpington? I haven't seen another like it and the girls are now 43.5 weeks old. Buffy hasn't ever squatted but I did recently catch her going in to the coop during the day. Maybe she'll start laying once the days get longer?
Suspected Buffy was laying but proof when I got 4 eggs in 1 day!

Attachments

• 4eggs1day.jpg
    4eggs1day.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 2
Suspected Buffy was laying but proof when I got 4 eggs in 1 day!

Awesome! It's so hard to be sure when the eggs are so close in size and color. I was suspicious for almost a week before I could prove one girl was laying because her eggs are virtually identical to another girl's. I still don't think I've gotten an egg from every single chicken in the same day! You have enough for an omelet there.:p:ya

Now that all my duds are laying, I'm trying to figure out how much they are actually laying. So I'm tracking how many eggs I get in one week on the calendar. I hope I'm not disappointed, but I never get 5 eggs in one day from 5 chickens. We'll see how this goes. Next step would be to track by bird and see who lays the most eggs in a week and who lays the least, or if I could refrain from eating eggs in a week I could just sort them by color

Back
Top Bottom