A couple sick ones...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thornwing, Sep 6, 2010.

1. thornwing

thornwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    Silkers: Silkie hen, keeps sneezing, its dry, no running of the nose, no yawning, no nothing except dry sneezes. She is also pretty skinny compared to the rest of my hens but maybe its just the breed? shes my first silkie! Love her to death<3 anyways, yea, but she also shakes her head a bit, just like once in a while, which im thinking is normal since they carry around fuzzy afros. Other wise she drinks, digs, eats, runs, flies (kinda, shes kinda got hair fer wings ;]), she bosses others around, jumps up on my lap to cuddle <3 etc...

Fluffers: mille fleur, my little baby a couple months old, starting to finally lose her baby voice....I have looked in her feathers and found mites/lice whatever the tear drop shaped orangey yellow colored fellas are in her feathers (usually when i find them, they are in their ears or scampering across the skin), they are stuck in the fuzzy base of the feathers or backs of the quills. Her wing feathers are wavy (stress and sickness do that I know), and I can see new feathers growing on her head, neck, back, wings, and feet and they are all coming in wavy and also the base of the feathers that are inside the skin still are kind of fat and bloated. They can be easily pulled out and when they are the very tip of the fat bases are watery and wet (and apparently Fluffers thinks they are tastey when I put them on my finger x/). she is healthy, fat little girl, picks on a hen thats 4 times her size xD, cuddles, runs around and loves trying to get out of the coop, rascal.

Yoshi: Healthiest little boy EVER. Strong little legs, a little older than Fluffers, crows getting better ;], growing in his spurs, beautiful feathers, not a crinkle in a single one, runs around, mates, eats, drinks, fat handsom boy. The only thing is, he keeps yawning. Hes been doing it for some time, so nothing is stuck in his throat, like a piece of food or hay.
    I should post a pic of Yoshi, his mom is a barred rock, his dad was a golden sebright...he looks barred rock until u look closer and theres a yellow tint to his feathers and some are sebright feathers and some are half gold sebright and barred rock feathers, sooo pretty...

Yea, those are my main concerns about my birds. We wormed them today because I know a few have had worms before. (maybe why silkie is thinner?) I think if I have time this week, ill clean out the coop and do something about the rats and flies around the coop. yuck.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Wormed them with what" You have to address the creepy crawly things. My personal favorite is Adams flea and tick spray, widely available, because you can get a better application than with powders. You can also spray the coop with it. And it kills critters dead (not the chicken, of course.) If you went the frequently used route of Wazine then ivermectin, the latter will get lice/mites, too, though if you are going to wait 3 more weeks before doing the ivermectin, I'd go for the Adams' anyway. They can really be taken down low (thin, undernourished, etc.) by lice/mites. I never did the disinfecting thing when I had lice/mites, maybe I should have, but it was old rough wood so I just sprayed everywhere with Adams. Worked.

Hopefully everyone will recover after the parasites are knocked down. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  3. thornwing

thornwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    So. California
    Ivermectin is what i gave them, havent seen any worms or mites....but silkers is sneezing alot, i mean, ALOT...but shes normal and healthy otherwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by