A DECADE OF DUCK TALK 2017- 2027

I plan to hatch some from their eggs, so I will try again with a duckling. Is it a good or bad idea to keep them with chicks? I separated them at about a week to keep their mess away from the chicks, but I wonder if they would be calmer with some calm chicks with them to reassure them.

Are the bantam breeds generally spookier or friendlier than the large breeds? Are any of the bantam breeds especially calm and friendly? I love the look of the BEI and was considering Australian Spotteds because they are scarce. In chickens some of the bantam breeds are the most docile and friendly of all chickens (silkies, cochins, ameraucanas), while others are (in my experience) just problem birds (sebrights).

Most people brood ducklings and chicks separately due to the mess that ducklings make, although if you keep the mess under control you could give it a go. If you place the waterers on a tray covered with hardware cloth, this allows the water to fall into the tray and not onto the bedding. Also, using absorbent bedding helps aswell.

I've heard that Calls make pretty great pets, and I'm just setting 6 white call eggs now, for pet purposes. I have had no experience with BEI or Australlian Spotteds, but I'm wanting to get some Miniture Silver Appleyards.

We have 7 Welsh Harlequins (3 drakes). I spent a lot of time with them when they were young (hatched in my incubator with chicks) and still they grew up to be quite wild. I expected "turkey style" bonding and am frankly disappointed with them. It is my first experience keeping any waterfowl, but I have had (and still have) lots of chickens, turkeys, guineas, etc.

Are other breeds more inclined to be people friendly? I got these because a friend offered the eggs to me. I was considering a bantam duck breed to start with, but now I wonder if they will be wild too. Is there a trick to getting ducklings to bond with people?
My Welsh Drake is totally imprinted on me as is my Buff Hen......The more time you spend with them, the better......I am not a holder of Ducklings though...I keep it as natural as possible..I quack to them and use my fingers to get them to eat and drink....I take them for walks and they follow as I quack to them....Once tired I sit till they settle to sleep..They wake up at crazy hours and call for me...I get up during the night also and feed them again with my fingers in the bowls and they quickly imprint to my voice and my hands.......I love Ducks....Feathered puppies....I have Ducklings going to hatch in two weeks and I almost fainted seeing the Baby bouncing around in the egg....So awesome......

Cheers!

My two imprinted Feathered Puppies.......

Gotta love Ducks!!!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all its been a while

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom