A dog attacked my duck!! Help please!!

Duckowner12345

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
Dog attacked my duck while he was swimming so I took him out of the water

Then I put some gauze on the wound and wrapped him with ace bandages.

Wound is in his lower back, his wings aren't injured. No deep wounds, but a good 3 × 3 inches of flesh torn up.

Is there anything I can give him for pain?
So scared
16061656973906003351784601545387.jpg

Could you gently peel off some of the bandage, and post a few pictures?

If you haven't already, I would trim some of the feathers around the wound, flush it with some saline, and apply an ointment like Neosporin, or Silvadene cream. Bandaging it would be good, just ensure there is plenty of gauzes underneath for padding, and that it's not on too tight, and make sure to replace the bandage daily. I'm afraid unless you see a vet, there isn't much you can give her for pain at the moment. Asprin would be ill-advised as it thins the blood and could cause involuntary bleeding of the wound.

If she isn't drinking much, try to keep her hydrated by dripping sugar water or Gatorade along her bill every so often. Infection is always a concern with bite wounds, so you may consider getting antibiotics online, and starting her on some.

https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-2377-fish-mox-amoxicillin.aspx
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I can't tell if he's breathing or not, or if his heart is beating. His eyes have remained in the same position for a long time, and he hasn't been moving.

I think he's dead :(

I can't tell if he's breathing or not, or if his heart is beating. His eyes have remained in the same position for a long time, and he hasn't been moving.

I think he's dead :(
Don’t let this ruin your experience with ducks and other fowl. Or blame your dog too much for what happened as it is only instinctive... My dogs when I first started raising chickens and ducks would want to chase after any of them they could. It took a lot of time with me and the birds and my dogs together to break this urge of theirs. I would have to shame my dogs and shout no while pointing my finger every time they even perked their ears at my birds. Now after a lot of that quality time I can leave my dogs out all day with no accidents. I hope your duck is still alive though!

Back
Top Bottom