A Dog For Me And My Flock

4 am and Im up with a pup....what was I thinking. YAWN. Naw man, she's doing great. She just has to get up and pee Early in the morning. Then she has to eat then she has to play. then she crashes and gives me a little alone time. She's doing good with he chickens. Ive been giving her at least 20 min. a day in the run. She has been play pouncing at the little chicks in the nursery pen but stops when corrected. Very little interest in the big birds.

My fave, and a breed that does not leave the side of what it watches, is the Polish Tatra Sheepdog.
It's known as a "thinking" breed, because they don't "chase" after a predator, instead, they stay and guard the flock and only engage in altercations when unavoidable. I LOVE this breed. :)
Here is a link to a bit of info about them: http://tatrainalaska.webs.com

They are VERY difficult to find in the US, though, and quite spendy, but well worth it...
I am going to be buying one from Poland, and having it shipped to the states next year...
I CANT WAIT.!!!

If she's a border collie/heeler cross, I imagine she will be very intelligent (both breeds are and I love the heelers) and loyal to the family. I had Am esk/Heeler cross. Thank god she got the heeler smarts. Super intelligent, only had to show her what I wanted once or twice at the most and she picked it up immediately. Very loyal to the family, but liked to stay away from strangers or not close family. I just couldn't take the hair and in her later years I shaved her down all the time. She blew her ligaments and stayed in the house mostly, but if I went outside with her she bugged to play frisbee all the time and I couldn't have that either. Smart girl. went through the agility course twice and got it right the second time around. That's fast learning.

Sky has started to bump the chickens and turkeys. She is not nipping or chasing, but every now and then she'll bump one with her nose if the bird is in her way. For right now I'm allowing it. I think its her "polite" way of telling them to get out of he way. Any follow up chasing will not be tolerated.
So far I am extremely happy with her. She is very obedient and smart. The only thing she does that I don't care for is she wakes me up between 4 and 5am every morning. She doe have a small bladder and needs to go pee. She also gets bored when no one is with her in the wee hours of the morning and she will start to cry when this happens. I will ignore the crying, very hard to do. As soon as she stops I go get her. I don't want her to learn that crying and making a fuss will produce positive results. She is getting better. Most of the time she waits to hear my alarm at 5:15am before she starts up.

Back
Top Bottom