ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I watched this video earlier (been watching a lot of detection dog and nosework videos as well as just general police/military dog videos lately lol) and I noticed that in the video, he seems to have some sort of device or something that launches the toy out at the source of the odor which I thought was a brilliant idea and I was just wondering what you guys think the device could be? I did ask on the video but am not sure if they will see it or reply. I know they do make automatic tennis ball launchers but this does not seem to be one because most of those launch horizontally and also, the toy isn’t always a ball, sometimes it’s a tug it launches. Most trainers I have seen just bounce the ball in front of the dog or pull out a tug and put it in it’s face for the reward, which are all great ideas and all have the odor rewarding the dog rather than the handler releasing from odor, but I just thought the automatic launcher thing seemed like a great idea. I know this is probably kind of a weird and very specific question for this thread and would maybe be more appropriate for a more dog specific site BUT I know that a lot of you have experience with dogs, even if not in this particular field, and also most of you are very handy and crafty so I thought I would ask here what you guys think he is using for the launcher. I know it is probably impossible to determine since the launcher is hidden from sight but any ideas? It does not appear to be very high velocitiy and seems to launch both balls and tugs but maybe it is two separate launchers. High enough velocity to punch through the boxes though. I know it is also a fairly long video but even just a few clips should give an idea. I would appreciate any input because I like the idea and am wanting to implement it possibly but if I can’t figure it out, I will just use the other idea most trainers use. I just ordered some various tugs and balls on strings for Libby and Franklin.

Also, while we’re on the subject of dogs, I am having a very hard time getting Franklin to tug. Libby loves tug and latches right on and usually refuses to let go or runs far away with the toy (need to go back to basics and rework that with her lol) but Franklin is a lot more timid and a huge cuddle bug so I am having two issues but they are kind of the same issue. 1. With fetch, he will run after it but if you call him, he will just drop it and come back immediately because he’s such a good boy with great recall and wants to cuddle. That’s great except... I want him to bring the toy back to me. But he loves balls so if you don’t call him, he is so cute just running all over and dropping it and picking it up again and having grand fun entertaining himself. So it is not an issue with him not liking the ball. Issue 2 is that he is so timid that if you try to play tug with him (which I often use as a reward for Libby for training), he will just get scared and let go immediately, I guess because he thinks that’s what you want him to do? Or he wants you to have it or something? He won’t hold it and tug. But I also haven’t really worked on it that much with him so maybe he will with practice. But so far he just drops instantly and won’t hold objects. He does it with Libby too. He just lets her take stuff from him all the time. So it is not just with me. He is just a very nervous and submissive but sweet and gentle dog.

:frowHi there.
I can’t help you on the launching part.
I have seen little battery operated treat launchers.
Look online and maybe on websites devoted to search and rescue dog training or maybe google “scent work dog training supplies”.

I’d be happy to share my experience on the dog behavior/play questions.

Some dog trainers make the decision that their dog is going to be positively rewarded during training with toys or fun or affection (experiential) rather than receive an edible treat (food based).

A dog handler/owner/trainer has to get to know the dog to find out what really helps them connect with that dog as an individual. What makes THAT dog SO happy?

It been my experience that while some dogs LIVE for a vigorous game of tug, not all enjoy it or will even engage.
So it’s possible you may never get your one dog to get on board with that.

That doesn’t mean you have to give up, it just means you need to keep searching for that “something special” which REALLY delights that particular dog.

As for the dog who enjoys playing ball but doesn’t bring it back... when you go out to play this game take 2 or three balls with you.

Throw the first ball, but don’t throw it very far. Too much distance at first can make the distractions all the more overwhelming.

If the first ball gets ignored or the dog gets distracted by something else environmental and abandons it- say a leaf tumbles by and makes the dog forget all about the ball-
Don’t recall the dog, just get his attention by using his name and throw the next one and maybe the next.

As soon as he touches the ball with his mouth, mark that event with a word like ”Yes!”
When he picks it up say it again, or use something else like “good boy” or even if he takes a step or two with it in his mouth, Mark that event too with something like “yes! bring it”. Whatever you choose, use it consistently so he knows he has your permission and encouragement rather than being called AWAY from it.

Dogs have a language and so do we. Training your dog is learning to READ his, and getting him to understand YOURS.

My own dog delights in playing with a ball -by himself. And he’s a retriever!... but it’s taken him a long time to figure out this game of fetch ...
That I’m NOT taking it AWAY when he comes near me, I’m CONTINUING THE FUN.

Eventually with all these balls flying, and all this praising going on, he’ll learn the language you are associating with it and figure out the object of the game.

Hope this helped some.

Look online and maybe on websites devoted to search and rescue dog training or maybe google “scent work dog training supplies”.

Some dog trainers make the decision that their dog is going to be positively rewarded during training with toys or fun or affection (experiential) rather than receive an edible treat (food based).

A dog handler/owner/trainer has to get to know the dog to find out what really helps them connect with that dog as an individual. What makes THAT dog SO happy?

It been my experience that while some dogs LIVE for a vigorous game of tug, not all enjoy it or will even engage.

That doesn’t mean you have to give up, it just means you need to keep searchin lol

@BuffOrpington567 , sorry. It may be bright and early, and yes I’m still on my first cup of coffee, but I’m trying to enjoy my morning.

BYC is a place I enjoy.
I also enjoy helping people who ask for it.

I don’t understand your “lol”.
I actually worked for many years as a professional dog trainer.

If you don’t have anything nice to say about my suggestions to the original poster of this thread, you are not required to agree with me, but please know that you aren’t required to comment either unless you have something constructive to contribute to the conversation.

That doesn’t mean you have to give up, it just means you need to keep searching for that “something special” which REALLY delights that particular dog.

As for the dog who enjoys playing ball but doesn’t bring it back... when you go out to play this game take 2 or three balls with you.

Throw the first ball, but don’t throw it very far. Too much distance at first can make the distractions all the more overwhelming.

If the first ball gets ignored or the dog gets distracted by something else environmental and abandons it- say a leaf tumbles by and makes the dog forget all about the ball-
Don’t recall the dog, just get his attention by using his name and throw the next one and maybe the next.

As soon as he touches the ball with his mouth, mark that event with a word like ”Yes!”
When he picks it up say it again, or use something else like “good boy” or even if he takes a step or two with it in his mouth, Mark that event too with something like “yes! bring it”. Whatever you choose, use it consistently so he knows he has your permission and encouragement rather than being called AWAY from it.

Dogs have a language and so do we. Training your dog is learning to READ his, and getting him to understand YOURS.

My own dog delights in playing with a ball -by himself. And he’s a retriever!... but it’s taken him a long time to figure out this game of fetch ...
That I’m NOT taking it AWAY when he comes near me, I’m CONTINUING THE FUN.

Eventually with all these balls flying, and all this praising going on, he’ll learn the language you are associating with it and figure out the object of the game.

Hope this helped some.

So true!
I have had dogs that are supposed to be hunting breeds and they are to soft mouthed to ever even try a tug.
I have a one year old dog that from 14 weeks old was all about fetch.
I had one that wouldn't touch a ball but was nuts for a frisbee.

Finding what works for the dog works wonders.

Back
Top Bottom