:frowHi there.
I can’t help you on the launching part.
I have seen little battery operated treat launchers.
Look online and maybe on websites devoted to search and rescue dog training or maybe google “scent work dog training supplies”.

I’d be happy to share my experience on the dog behavior/play questions.

Some dog trainers make the decision that their dog is going to be positively rewarded during training with toys or fun or affection (experiential) rather than receive an edible treat (food based).

A dog handler/owner/trainer has to get to know the dog to find out what really helps them connect with that dog as an individual. What makes THAT dog SO happy?

It been my experience that while some dogs LIVE for a vigorous game of tug, not all enjoy it or will even engage.
So it’s possible you may never get your one dog to get on board with that.

That doesn’t mean you have to give up, it just means you need to keep searching for that “something special” which REALLY delights that particular dog.

As for the dog who enjoys playing ball but doesn’t bring it back... when you go out to play this game take 2 or three balls with you.

Throw the first ball, but don’t throw it very far. Too much distance at first can make the distractions all the more overwhelming.

If the first ball gets ignored or the dog gets distracted by something else environmental and abandons it- say a leaf tumbles by and makes the dog forget all about the ball-
Don’t recall the dog, just get his attention by using his name and throw the next one and maybe the next.

As soon as he touches the ball with his mouth, mark that event with a word like ”Yes!”
When he picks it up say it again, or use something else like “good boy” or even if he takes a step or two with it in his mouth, Mark that event too with something like “yes! bring it”. Whatever you choose, use it consistently so he knows he has your permission and encouragement rather than being called AWAY from it.

Dogs have a language and so do we. Training your dog is learning to READ his, and getting him to understand YOURS.

My own dog delights in playing with a ball -by himself. And he’s a retriever!... but it’s taken him a long time to figure out this game of fetch ...
That I’m NOT taking it AWAY when he comes near me, I’m CONTINUING THE FUN.

Eventually with all these balls flying, and all this praising going on, he’ll learn the language you are associating with it and figure out the object of the game.

Hope this helped some.

Thank you very much! This is all very helpful. And I like the launcher flying nun farm shared (though it is expensive) and after a quick Google search (idk why I didn’t think of that before), it seems there are also a couple specifically designed for working/detection dogs, although they do also use the other one. Depends on personal preference I guess. Here are the other ones I found. But all are extremely expensive so if I’m just training the one or two dogs, it doesn’t really make sense to buy one. Guess I will stick with the old school way lol

http://www.elitek9.com/K-9-BSD-3R-r...th-Barrel-and-Black-cover/productinfo/SD300B/

http://www.elitek9.com/K-9-BSD-3R-r...-Launcher-with-Black-cover/productinfo/SD300/

http://www.elitek9.com/Dogtra-Ball-trainer/productinfo/ED100/

And thank you so much again!!! This is all very helpful!! Franklin LOVES praise/pats and love and high value food rewards (he can be picky with foods/treats but there are some he loves, like the merrick ones and the freeze dried raw, and of course real meat and cheese lol) so I do use those for a lot of the training, he is coming along nicely on walks, but I guess I just thought tug might be fun. But I guess if he doesn’t like it, it wouldn’t be fun for him. I just thought maybe if I could show him that he doesn’t have to let go or be scared, that I’m not trying to take it from him, he might like it. And like for example, I also have a flirt pole for them (bought from Squishy Face Studio) cause Libby is very high energy, bought it before Franklin, and he loves it and will run and run but when he catches it, he doesn’t want to tug, unlike Libby who all she wants to do is catch it and tug with me and then try to eat it lol, but if I try to approach him, he just spits it out, which I feel bad about because I want him to keep his prize. So I just started letting him prance around with it for a bit first, even lay down, and then take it, because I want him to feel like he won and got rewarded and not like I took it instantly. But we don’t do the flirt pole very often. I guess maybe tug is just not his thing. But I wish he didn’t think that I want to take everything from him.

And thank you for the suggestion on the fetch thing! I am going to try that idea!! It’s weird because he usually does pick it up and carry it a bit and will sometimes start to bring it back but then he drops it before he gets to me, even if I don’t call him, if he just thinks he can get some attention he drops it and comes over. And he doesn’t seem to understand “get it” or “where’s the ball?” Or “get the ball” and if I try to say any of those, he just looks at me, and doesn’t get it. Libby is a very very intelligent dog and seemed to just figure stuff out all her own if you pointed to something and said get it and she loves playing find it, but Franklin, I hate to say it, does not seem as bright. Very very sweet but just does not seem to “get” stuff like Libby. But maybe I just need to practice more and teach it to him? I forget, I did somewhat have to teach Libby to bring it back too because she would run away, so maybe I need to teach him too. But with her it was easier because I used this method I saw on YouTube where you just toss it a short distance and when they bring it back, you tug with them, but stop before they’re done, so the idea is, they bring the toy back to you hoping for more play. And then bringing it back is fun. But with Franklin since he doesn’t like tug, I am going to have to get more creative lol

But for him, since he’s not really afraid to grab it but seems more afraid to KEEP it or seems to just want cuddles, is it the same method you described or would it be different? He loves the chase but not so much the retrieve lol

@BuffOrpington567 , sorry. It may be bright and early, and yes I’m still on my first cup of coffee, but I’m trying to enjoy my morning.

BYC is a place I enjoy.
I also enjoy helping people who ask for it.

I don’t understand your “lol”.
I actually worked for many years as a professional dog trainer.

If you don’t have anything nice to say about my suggestions to the original poster of this thread, you are not required to agree with me, but please know that you aren’t required to comment either unless you have something constructive to contribute to the conversation.

Stacey, I would not worry too much about buff orpington’s comment or take it too personally. I believe that this user is very young and may not be intentionally being rude or know any better; you can see their comment to me. I tried not to let it bug me because they do come across as a child or at least very young. I appreciated your comment and suggestions and thought it was very helpful. :hugs

So true!
I have had dogs that are supposed to be hunting breeds and they are to soft mouthed to ever even try a tug.
I have a one year old dog that from 14 weeks old was all about fetch.
I had one that wouldn't touch a ball but was nuts for a frisbee.

Finding what works for the dog works wonders.

Thank you! This is very helpful. His thing seems to be praise/cuddles and good treats (only good treats, he can be picky and is not always particuarly food motivated). I just thought tug might be fun. But maybe not for him.

https://www.dogtra.com/products/remote-launchers

These launchers look to be aimed at training bird dogs but could be useful.

Thank you so much! That looks perfect, although wow I wasn’t expecting it to be so expensive lol guess I will have to stick to the old school way unless I open a training school or something and can justify the cost aha

Another random thought... some dogs respond or get really excited by noises... as in a regular ball might not be all that exciting, but a sqeaking tennis ball could be the best thing in the world. Toys that make noise are instantly recognizable and can also be used to grab and maintain a dog's attention.

Again, as others have mentioned, it's about finding what your dogs responds best to. I have one that would do anything for any sort of food, I have another that would be just as excited by/responsive to me talking in a baby voice and petting her head. I have one that's a tugger and one that's a fetcher. You will get there!

Also your dog that won't tug, you mentioned is submissive, and I believe this is exactly it... my submissive dog won't tug much with me or the alpha dog, I think it may be another way of submitting by easily giving over the prize and not fighting about. The dog is trying to please by sharing that valued toy readily.

Another random thought... some dogs respond or get really excited by noises... as in a regular ball might not be all that exciting, but a sqeaking tennis ball could be the best thing in the world. Toys that make noise are instantly recognizable and can also be used to grab and maintain a dog's attention.

Again, as others have mentioned, it's about finding what your dogs responds best to. I have one that would do anything for any sort of food, I have another that would be just as excited by/responsive to me talking in a baby voice and petting her head. I have one that's a tugger and one that's a fetcher. You will get there!

I never thought of a squeaky ball! That’s a good idea!!

And thanks! Seems like you have a wide variety of dogs and motivations! Libby loves food and will eat any food but for some stuff, like nosework, she seems to prefer toys. Franklin is big on praise and chasing a ball (not so much the retrieve) but thought tug might be fun for him

Also your dog that won't tug, you mentioned is submissive, and I believe this is exactly it... my submissive dog won't tug much with me or the alpha dog, I think it may be another way of submitting by easily giving over the prize and not fighting about. The dog is trying to please by sharing that valued toy readily.

That makes a lot of sense!! Thanks!! So he may never learn to tug? One of them is 1 year old and the other is 6 months old.

Honestly, I never tried to train a dog to tug. I just accept that she doesn't tug and figured in my situation that's good. I always found "drop it" to be more important in my life with dogs, whether it's a toy or my own shoe, or some dead thing they found in the woods, etc. if they can drop it on command no matter how tempting it is and it doesn't become a game of tug for me to get something from my dogs that's good for me!

I have had many dogs in my life and they all have their quirks and they all have certain things that they respond well to. They are individuals so the way you work with them needs to be tailored to them.

Honestly, I never tried to train a dog to tug. I just accept that she doesn't tug and figured in my situation that's good. I always found "drop it" to be more important in my life with dogs, whether it's a toy or my own shoe, or some dead thing they found in the woods, etc. if they can drop it on command no matter how tempting it is and it doesn't become a game of tug for me to get something from my dogs that's good for me!

I have had many dogs in my life and they all have their quirks and they all have certain things that they respond well to. They are individuals so the way you work with them needs to be tailored to them.

That’s a good point too!! I was wondering about that, thought maybe teaching him to hold onto stuff might not be so good. I think it’s good he just drops stuff on his own. Although I do wonder if he could be trained to at least hold stuff, like for photos, or to retrieve, and still drop on command every time. Libby is kind of the exact opposite, does not like to drop and often will not. But she has gotten better and usually does now, if you say it a couple times or wait long enough. I need to keep working on it with her and practicing to make it perfect, I haven’t in a while because she kinda mostly does it now. But I want it to be every time the first time so I am going to keep working on it. But initially I had to reward her with a treat every time she dropped it and that seemed to help rather than getting upset when she didn’t and now she usually does drop it eventually but she is not thrilled about it.

And that’s true. I kind of like finding out what motivates each dog :)

Back
Top Bottom