So I would think you can train a dog to hold something And drop something.

It's like stay. They keep doing the stay until you release them. I would think they could be taught to keep holding the object until you command them to release it.

Thanks! I’ll have to look into how to teach it.

It used to be called 'forced retrieve training', or something similar. It's very useful for training sporting dogs to get the bumper, or bird, and return it every time. Also for obedience training.
It breaks the process into little tiny steps, so the dog doesn't have opportunities to play keep-away or otherwise mess up.
Mary

Thanks, that sounds useful.

You could ask around to local bird dog groups if they have a used launcher they would like to unload.

Thanks, that’s a great idea!!

That’s a fantastic idea!

X2

Honestly, I never tried to train a dog to tug. I just accept that she doesn't tug and figured in my situation that's good. I always found "drop it" to be more important in my life with dogs, whether it's a toy or my own shoe, or some dead thing they found in the woods, etc. if they can drop it on command no matter how tempting it is and it doesn't become a game of tug for me to get something from my dogs that's good for me!

I have had many dogs in my life and they all have their quirks and they all have certain things that they respond well to. They are individuals so the way you work with them needs to be tailored to them.
Very sound advice. Better to realize that cookie cutter training doesn't work on dogs anymore than it does on people. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, learn tasks that are suited to our nature much easier than tasks we find distasteful.

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I'll throw my two cents worth in anyway. Regarding fetching, I would back chain it. Start by teaching him to take the ball in his mouth, and drop it in your hand, or at your feet, (or wherever you'll want it when you get to fetch again) Then start having him hold it for a few seconds, then longer and longer. When he holds the ball for a reasonable time, then dropping it in your hand, then start taking a step backwards, so that he has to step towards you to place the ball in your hand. Then, keep taking a few more steps, (as long as he's successful) until he's holding the ball while you back all the way across the yard, and he comes and drops it in your hand when released. By that time, then try tossing it a short distance, ask him to take it and offer your hand for the ball. (assuming he did pick it up.)
Regarding tugging, he sounds a lot like my old Mcnab, whom I tried for years to teach to tug. He was a very soft dog, and he was very respectful of "property rights" by which I mean, if it was in my hand, it was mine, and not his. Finally what worked was a fuzzy toy on a long elastic, so it wasn't really in my hand. But after about a year of successful tug play (used to reve him up for agility) he started having problems with his neck, and we had to stop tugging. To this day, I wonder if the tugging injured his neck.
Like others have said, not all dogs enjoy tugging, and I regret having done it with him.
My mutt Sherman, on the other hand, took to tugging right away, and seems to like it, but finds food much more rewarding.
The launching thingy, no clue.

Very sound advice. Better to realize that cookie cutter training doesn't work on dogs anymore than it does on people. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, learn tasks that are suited to our nature much easier than tasks we find distasteful.

That’s a good point. Never thought of it in terms of people. I know i would hate to learn something I didn’t like or found boring like math.

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but I'll throw my two cents worth in anyway. Regarding fetching, I would back chain it. Start by teaching him to take the ball in his mouth, and drop it in your hand, or at your feet, (or wherever you'll want it when you get to fetch again) Then start having him hold it for a few seconds, then longer and longer. When he holds the ball for a reasonable time, then dropping it in your hand, then start taking a step backwards, so that he has to step towards you to place the ball in your hand. Then, keep taking a few more steps, (as long as he's successful) until he's holding the ball while you back all the way across the yard, and he comes and drops it in your hand when released. By that time, then try tossing it a short distance, ask him to take it and offer your hand for the ball. (assuming he did pick it up.)
Regarding tugging, he sounds a lot like my old Mcnab, whom I tried for years to teach to tug. He was a very soft dog, and he was very respectful of "property rights" by which I mean, if it was in my hand, it was mine, and not his. Finally what worked was a fuzzy toy on a long elastic, so it wasn't really in my hand. But after about a year of successful tug play (used to reve him up for agility) he started having problems with his neck, and we had to stop tugging. To this day, I wonder if the tugging injured his neck.
Like others have said, not all dogs enjoy tugging, and I regret having done it with him.
My mutt Sherman, on the other hand, took to tugging right away, and seems to like it, but finds food much more rewarding.
The launching thingy, no clue.

Thank you!! This is very very helpful and sounds a little bit kinder than force fetch, especially where he’s so soft already, so I will have to try it. Thank you!

And huh, that is probably why Franklin won’t tug. If he doesn’t like it, I guess I won’t push it. And that’s sad about his neck!

Libby seems to love a good tug game but loves food too.

And it’s okay, I finally found some online but they were several hundred dollars so I am just going to stick to the easy way lol

Also, while we’re on the subject of dogs, anyone have any ideas for boosting confidence? I have a couple but would love more given Franklin doesn’t seem to be a very confident dog. I think part of that is because of Libby’s bold personality so I will have to work with him alone but I would like to get his confidence up.

I find it easier to squelch boldness than to encourage a very soft dog to be braver. That's just me.
When I have a timid dog (as I do now) it pays off to do lots of group classes and activities, always being positive about it. Don't 'sympathize' with the dog, she hears it as praise for being fearful. As in "I must be right to be scared!"
Praise the forward movements instead, and calm positive behaviors.
So, don't let her hide, bring her out and engage in fun positive activities instead.
Mary

I find it easier to squelch boldness than to encourage a very soft dog to be braver. That's just me.
When I have a timid dog (as I do now) it pays off to do lots of group classes and activities, always being positive about it. Don't 'sympathize' with the dog, she hears it as praise for being fearful. As in "I must be right to be scared!"
Praise the forward movements instead, and calm positive behaviors.
So, don't let her hide, bring her out and engage in fun positive activities instead.
Mary

Thanks! That’s helpful! All good suggestions. I was thinking about taking Libby to a nosework class and was thinking of taking Franklin too but then my brother’s fiancé was saying he’s such a homebody so she doesn’t know if he’d like it. Well personally, I think it would be good for him to get out there and experience the world and I don’t think he is really a homebody, I think he is just scared/timid/nervous of a lot of stuff. All the more reason for him to get out there. I haven’t really mentioned that to her yet but I think he needs to experience stuff and the class or at least visiting more places could help him. I have taken him to a field/beach before and he loved it and to VT but he really hasn’t gone many places besides the neighborhood. They are technically my brother’s dogs not mine but I walk and train them several times a week and have been around them since they were little tiny puppies. They are both rescues. Libby adopted in February at 12 weeks old (now 1 year old) and Franklin just adopted in September at I think like 16 weeks or just short. Born in June so just turned 6 months old. He has gotten more confident than he was But I guess is more timid about like new stuff still

Born in June so just turned 6 months old.
Sounds like he's hitting the fear period. Continue to expose him to new things, in a safe way, and don't force him to confront things that are too scary for him. Basic obedience can be a real confidence builder for shy dogs, if they are handled gently and reinforced for doing it right frequently, because then they know what they can do.

Sounds like he's hitting the fear period. Continue to expose him to new things, in a safe way, and don't force him to confront things that are too scary for him. Basic obedience can be a real confidence builder for shy dogs, if they are handled gently and reinforced for doing it right frequently, because then they know what they can do.

I didn’t realize older dogs had a fear period, knew little puppies did, so that’s interesting! Will have to keep working with him and exposing him to things. And thanks, I’ll have to try that!

Back
Top Bottom