A Few Questions About Jumbo Coturnix Quails...

ShadowCrona

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
Shibusen
Hi,
I am hatching 24 Jumbo Browns in an incubator! I haven't seen much when candling. This is their 13th day and I am putting then into lockdown on day 15. I have a few questions for you...

1) My friend is taking them at the end of summer. Would one make a good pet? I have a 2x3x2 cage that is specifically built to house quails, and in addition to that, a run/pen thing in my backyard. I would keep her indoors (I don't really want a male because I have heard they make loud noises during breeding season).

2) How do you clip quails' wings?

3) Do they need any specific shots or medicines (I know about grit and oyster shells, but I am asking about immunity and vaccines).

4) Do these guys do well if they are handled (not saying cuddled or anything-- just if I were moving them from one place to another, like a cage to a pen), and would they be okay around other pets or should I avoid any contact with other pets?

5) Last question (bet you're all like, "FINALLY SHE'S DONE!!
celebrate.gif
). What kind of food that could be laying around the house (tomatoes, cucumbers, eggs, etc. would be okay for them to eat as a treat (like a list) and what foods are toxic (besides avacado)?

:p I'm not asking you guys to answer all the questions, but would appreciate it if you could answer one or two. I'm a newbie so I honestly have no idea... None. XD

Thanks so much!

~Just Another Newbie

No I do not.

Also. Another question. I am using a still air incubator that was around 50 bucks (like one of those hovabators) and the humidity gauge is completely inaccurate and a piece of..well, you know... Anyways, how can I tell the humidity or how much water should I pour in the trays? It is a Farm Innovators model. URGENT LOCKDOWN IN LESS THAN TWO DAYS!!!!!

Why'd you ask? And I was going to get some Silkies but have limited space and chickens have had previous "misdimeanors" where I live XD

how do you know it's inacurate?
At this pint all your going to see when you candle is the egg glowing (no chick) Or dark (chick inside)

It's inaccurate because it's showing 90% humidity in a very dry room. And problem is,with those spots I never saw anything to begin with :p

Why'd you ask? And I was going to get some Silkies but have limited space and chickens have had previous "misdimeanors" where I live XD
Sorry about that Shadow, I've been preparing for a hatch and haven't been paying attention to the posts going on. Anyway, I consider myself an Ambassador of sorts to prevent Coryza, a respiratory illness that chickens pass to quail that is fatal. Also, I made a statement to put a nickel in a jar anytime a member posts about chickens and quail; I've collected $2.17 since the first week of march.

Back to your questions.
1) If you did keep one hen, that cage would be more than enough room to be kept inside, and as long as you cleaned the cage daily.
2) Here is a link that shows how to clip wings.
3) Quail do not need any any shots or medicines.
4) My daughter has a Male Texas A&M that she holds and rubs the top of his head and under his beak. She's the only one that can do this to him, but I'd definitely keep your future pet away from any cats, dogs or snakes.
I can't answer the last question because I don't give my quail treats...

Thanks so much, James! Chickens are strictly illegal where I live because of the whole rooster issue... I'm happy to hear quails don't need shots or anything. The only thing I'm worried about is my psychotic herding dog, but I'm sure I can handle that. Asfornylastquestion, to Google we go!

They sell bags of free choice game bird seeds at most feed stores. They have it at Bomgaars. I'd use that for a treat. You have to be careful when giving treats as you can throw off the nutrient ratio in the feed, and wind up with a sick bird.

Back
Top Bottom