A ? for practicing Catholics (not a debate!)

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting. I guess I've only ever attended "Post-Vatican" churches. I've heard my grandmother talk some about the changes. I thought she said mid sixties. I wasn't born until the mid seventies. Maybe there is some regional issues as well. Like how some hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and some don't.

Now I'm going to have to start scoping people out at Mass. As long as I can remember I've never worn or been required to wear a head covering. Can't say I've ever noticed anyone else wearing one. Certainly not a majority because I'd have probably noticed then and asked about it.

I've never heard anything about restrictions concerning touching Holy Water. We do have to dump it out in a special sink when we're cleaning. (non-sewer) I had a friend last year ask about attending Mass with us and other than not partaking of Communion I didn't think there was anything they needed or didn't need to do. When I asked the priest, he agreed. No Communion and participation with everything else they felt like participating in. I've often heard the priest give the same instructions at weddings where one side and/or a majority of their guests were not Catholic.

Baptism, Reconciliation and Eucharist are still the only sacraments as far as I know that are required for receiving Communion. Born and raised Catholic, kids in Catholic school right now, one preparing for their first Communion right now. That's the order in so far as I've ever known. I have been told that if you remarry without an annulment from the church you're not supposed to partake, but I've never confirmed that as it doesn't pertain to me. There's always a lot of people at Easter and Christmas Mass that don't attend throughout the year. A few Easter's ago the priest commented on it in his Homily, welcomed them, invited them to attend more often and still gave out Communion.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Do whatever makes you comfortable.

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting. I guess I've only ever attended "Post-Vatican" churches. I've heard my grandmother talk some about the changes. I thought she said mid sixties. I wasn't born until the mid seventies. Maybe there is some regional issues as well. Like how some hold hands during the Lord's Prayer and some don't.

Now I'm going to have to start scoping people out at Mass. As long as I can remember I've never worn or been required to wear a head covering. Can't say I've ever noticed anyone else wearing one. Certainly not a majority because I'd have probably noticed then and asked about it.

I've never heard anything about restrictions concerning touching Holy Water. We do have to dump it out in a special sink when we're cleaning. (non-sewer) I had a friend last year ask about attending Mass with us and other than not partaking of Communion I didn't think there was anything they needed or didn't need to do. When I asked the priest, he agreed. No Communion and participation with everything else they felt like participating in. I've often heard the priest give the same instructions at weddings where one side and/or a majority of their guests were not Catholic.

Baptism, Reconciliation and Eucharist are still the only sacraments as far as I know that are required for receiving Communion. Born and raised Catholic, kids in Catholic school right now, one preparing for their first Communion right now. That's the order in so far as I've ever known. I have been told that if you remarry without an annulment from the church you're not supposed to partake, but I've never confirmed that as it doesn't pertain to me. There's always a lot of people at Easter and Christmas Mass that don't attend throughout the year. A few Easter's ago the priest commented on it in his Homily, welcomed them, invited them to attend more often and still gave out Communion.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Do whatever makes you comfortable.

I didn't mean to be confusing. If you don't go to a pre-Vatican church, you will not see these people. They go to their own churches as they feel the mainstream Catholic church has branched out too far from the original intent of the religion. In fact, the reason they are called pre-Vatican is that they do not recognize the changes to the church that were a result of the Vatican II counsel. The last pope they recognize is Pius (the X?).

I mentioned it only as the original posters father may in fact be pre-Vatican ... OR she may have grown up in the late 50s prior to the Vatican II counsel.

a few good reliable sources are Catholic online (catholic.org), and Catholic Answers (catholic.com), and Catholic exchange (catholicexchange.com)

hope that helps- another good one is Catholics Come Home http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

its
really not that complicated, i grew up at the tail end of prevatican 2 and when i returned to the Church fifteen years ago, it felt odd to not seeing headcoverings, now you'll see them sprinkled through the church, so it may be coming back-

Grity, I'm going to go a little further on this issue. I am a Catholic and a member of the Catholic Church however some of my own beliefs are a bit more progressive than others. If someone wants to debate than they can go stand in front of a mirror first.

On dressing: I think it says a lot when people dress for church, including hats. So few people do these days and it's a personal choice. I don't think any less of someone who comes in jeans and a tshirt. I'm just happy to see them there. If I was going to a church other than my own I would dress in more formal clothes.

On the Eucharist: Go up and receive it. 90% of Catholics who do receive it haven't been to confession in years, maybe decades. I believe it's more of a sin, or at least sad, to go to mass and not receive it.

Remember, while many don't understand this we are CHRISTIANS FIRST. I highly doubt Jesus checked the Apostles confession records before passing the bread and wine around the table and if they were wearing hats they were Yamakas.
wink.png

Ultimately do what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited:
superchemicalgirl
lol.png
No sweat you weren't confusing me. I knew a little about Vatican II and that it was controversial, I just didn't know/had never thought about any parishes branching off. Makes me wonder now though....my sis and her family moved to a town that while it had 2 Catholic churches, they attended the one across town. I asked once and she said the closer one was really strange and they weren't comfortable there. Maybe it's pre-Vatican. I'll have to ask her what was strange about it.

I have such problems with my hair most of the time, those Mantillas look so tempting and beautiful. Honestly, unless someone is dressed extremely inappropriately/immodestly, I likely wouldn't even notice them. Proper church attire has changed so much, even in the last decade. Besides, you never know what anyone elses financial/living circumstances are.

Purplechicken is spot on about Communion. Nobody's up there checking to see if you've "got the proper creds." Since you were raised Catholic, you already have them anyways. Take a 10, 30, 50 year hiatus then go and register with a parish. Yeah, they'll want your Sacraments info, but I don't know they actually verify any of it. Even if they did, well you received them and that's that, they don't do, do overs. You can't be baptized Catholic again. At most if they know it's been awhile they might suggest you go to some RCIA classes to reacquaint, but I've never heard of it being required.

From what you've said, I'm guessing you've at least been through the first 4 including Confirmation. In the churches eyes, you may not be a practicing Catholic, but you're still Catholic, no matter how long it's been.

Latest Official Guidelines I found.

On November 14, 1996, the National Conference of Catholic Bishops approved the following guidelines on the reception of communion. These guidelines replace the guidelines approved by the Administrative Committee of the NCCB in November 1986. The guidelines, which are to be included in missalettes and other participation aids published in the United States, seek to remind all those who may attend Catholic liturgies of the present discipline of the Church with regard to the sharing of eucharistic communion.

For Catholics
As Catholics, we fully participate in the celebration of the Eucharist when we receive Holy Communion. We are encouraged to receive Communion devoutly and frequently. In order to be properly disposed to receive Communion, participants should not be conscious of grave sin and normally should have fasted for one hour. A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to receive the Body and Blood of the Lord without prior sacramental confession except for a grave reason where there is no opportunity for confession. In this case, the person is to be mindful of the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition, including the intention of confessing as soon as possible (canon 916). A frequent reception of the Sacrament of Penance is encouraged for all.​

About Communion, no, nobody is checking your credentials, but if you no longer believe that it is the Body and Blood of Christ, it seems a little thoughtless to recieve it - the action of receiving the Eucharist is saying you believe it, so you are bascially lying. Just my two cents.

I must have missed where the OP said they didn't believe the Eucharist was the body and blood of Christ. Catholics Come Home has been stressed for at least the last several years and I've heard about the possibilities of absorbing....I think it was the Episcopalians while allowing them to retain their Mass and Eucharist traditions.

There is another option beyond just receiving or remaining in the pew. Go up during Communion, but cross your arms over your chest and receive a blessing instead. 100% acceptable all the way around.
smile.png

To get back on the subject of the headcovering, to me it always seemed to be about respect and humility. Same goes for the manner of dress. If you dress yourself up in a way that's different from your every day clothing, it changes your mood (not the word I'm searching for, but it'll have to do) and puts you in the right frame of mind to be open to the days sermon.

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from - every single time I've visited with my dad for the past 20 years or so I've worn a large band-aid on my left shoulder. Dad must think I have some horrible kind of never healing sore. Though I'm not ashamed of my tattoo - in fact it has a very deep personal meaning to me - my dad will never ever see it. Dad has a strong prejudice against women having tatts. Given the fact that both of his forearms are covered in (navy) tatts, I could argue the point with him, but I choose to cover mine instead. It's not about being ashamed of it, it's about having respect for my dad and his beliefs. It doesn't hurt me a bit to cover the tatt, it would hurt dad greatly to know I have one. Simple as that.

Same goes for the headcovering and the Eucharist (as Red&Yellow pointed out). I do what I do out of respect for my dad and his beliefs.

I believe it was Vatican II, when it was decided women no longer had to wear headcoverings. This occurred pre-me, so I can't give you much more info than that. However, if you're comfortable wearing one and it would make your dad happy, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom