a good chicken magazine ??????

I like Backyard Poultry Mag, too. I subscribed to it last fall, before I got chickens (mid-summer). I just resubscribed for 1 year. Some people on here (BYC) say that after you have had poultry for a while, that the magazine is not as useful. I can see that being true, which is why I subscribed for a year instead of for 2 years.

I also like to switch which magazines I subscribe to. I only subscribe to 2-3 at a time, and so I rotate as my interests change. When I first got my house (c.1855) - This Old House. I tried Countryside on the advice of a friend but I didn't really like it. Now, Backyard Poultry. Next year, ? I might look for something related to permaculture, or maybe give Home Power magazine another try (they have grown up a lot since I subscribed back in the mid 90s).

Ditto on Back Yard Poultry, I have been reading ag type publications for a while and this magazine is at the top of my list.

Last edited:
I found 4 mags. The best USA mag is Backyard Poultry. Hobby Farms just started their mag for chickens. The other 2 mags are from the UK and have good articles as well, Practical Poultry and Fanciful Poultry. I also have been picking up books on chickens along with printing out info found on the web that I think is good to add to my chicken library. The BYC forums are full of good information so do take advantage.

Backyard Poultry and Practical Poultry

Occasionally Hobby Farms or Mother Earth News run an article on chickens but they are very basic and not very detailed. Harvey Ussery writes most of them and he is very preachy that HIS way is the RIGHT and ONLY way and while he has some good ideas, he gets on my nerves just a tad.

Backyard poultry is great but my favorite is Hobby Farm's Chickens magazine. You can't subscribe yet and it's only published 4 times a year by seasons. Hopefully they will make it monthly and offer subscriptions soon.

Back
Top Bottom