A goose, a myth, a legend, needs a mate! Or maybe not....

Rondack

Crowing
7 Years
Feb 21, 2015
Upstate NY
I have a Toulouse goose, which I believe to be female...

The latter assumption is thwarted by the fact that as far as I think I know it hasn't layed a single egg!

I have had it for some time now, I got a pair of toulouse geese, but while I was away it seems a predator came and snatched one of the two birds... Now I have one solitary lonesome goose... Although it's not that bad for the goose, it has two ducks to keep it company, the two geese and the two ducks grew up together, then when the goose disappeared the other goose started protecting them and they became an effective trio. Two ducks eat, the goose looks on with a watchful eye.. The goose eats... well, the ducks don't really return the favor... anyway, you can see them in two of my videos:

In this one the goose and the chickens (Yes, chickens--what flock is complete without chickens, lol--) are alone without the ducks...

Here is when they were all together.. back in their earlier days....

So, the question is: Can I get the goose a mate to replace the other goose? If so, male or female? What about the ducks? etc....

You can (and should) get another goose. How long have you had this goose? They're seasonal layers, and laying season is early spring, so if you haven't had it for over a year yet, then it not laying eggs doesn't mean it's not a female, since they lay only at a certain time of year.

Male or female is your choice. If you think this one is a female, and you want to have goslings, then get a male. If you don't care about goslings, then another female is fine.

Well, I have had it for way over a year.... This is it's second winter..

Problem is, not sure if it's a male or a female!

What's its behavior like? For instance, would it put itself between you and ducks or the other goose? Does it walk with its neck extended and beak held up in the air?

Geese can be difficult to gender ID. Here's a plan. Next spring buy a half a dozen goslings. Let them mature. Your present goose will pick a mate, and then there are 5 more geese to either appreciate or eat. This is what I did with Gus the Goose.

edited to add: don't know if I previously have mentioned this to you, but I had a German Shepherd dog named Rondack.

Last edited:
What's its behavior like? For instance, would it put itself between you and ducks or the other goose? Does it walk with its neck extended and beak held up in the air?
Well, yes, when I walk up to the trio the goose lowers it's neck down to ground level, starts hissing, and if a duck gets out from behind it it grabs it by the feathers (sometimes very hard to the point of tearing some out) and pulls it back into place... Although other times it's quite tame and let's you come rather close... Also if you pick it up it instantly is calm in your arms till you lower back down to the ground...

Does your goose stand an walk like this one gander in front female in back. Your goose sounds like a gander.
4A6FF880-1317-424A-8BF9-D413364266E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom