A great resource for bob white quail management or reintroduction.

Very nice. I see too many people attempt to solve the bobwhite population problem by restocking attempts. At this point in the game it's pretty obvious that restocking just doesn't work. Habitat management will be the saving of the bobwhite if anything can.

When I lived in Missouri it was easy to see why the quail population across the midwest, southern and eastern states is damaged. Every single useable field is planted with something for people or cattle, but no food proper food sources for quail exist in any reasonable quantity. Not to mention the amount of fertilizer/pesticide contaminated water, lack of cover, and abundance of predators.

Absolutely, I did plantings and controlled burns for several years before I started reintroducing bob whites, and I even had decent habitat to begin with. I highly recommend Rosene's book " Bob White Quail" the amounts of factual data he collected of the years and across the country is amazing. Parts of it are very tedious because he covers practically everything you could think of having to do with Bob whites (like pages about the average wing length etc.), but his repeated emphasis on habitat and management really serves you well. The book is old and but the facts are still applicable.

Back
Top Bottom