A happy ending to a wry neck chick story! (WITH PICS) - WITH UPDATE

Great to hear your success!

Does anyone know if wry neck can be cured with the vitamins if it's the result of an injury? I've been giving my Sumatra with wry neck vitamins every day for almost two weeks and there has been absolutely no progress. I am wondered if she was injured by a bird dogpile! And if she can be cured. I can't keep her with me in the home because my dogs will 100% kill her.

Great to hear your success!

Does anyone know if wry neck can be cured with the vitamins if it's the result of an injury? I've been giving my Sumatra with wry neck vitamins every day for almost two weeks and there has been absolutely no progress. I am wondered if she was injured by a bird dogpile! And if she can be cured. I can't keep her with me in the home because my dogs will 100% kill her.

So sorry for a late reply! I am so busy taking care of chickens, I rarely check in here anymore! I believe an injury induced wry neck can be cured with vitamins! The wry neck, in my opinion can come on from inflamation due to trauma. Some of the vitamins can actually help reduce the inflamation, and also give them the nutritional boost they need to get them through it. Silkies are prone to wry neck due to their physical makeup with the vaulted skulls, so that makes sense - they are more prone to head injury from pecking. I hope you are still treating and having success. My experience has been it can take a long time, and you will have good days and horrible hopeless days. Just keep up food, water and vitamins! Good luck!

Yes
This has helped me allot! I hope my chick makes it through the night! I just noticed it was wry neck! I will fix it because she is a really sweet chick! I will get stuff in the morning for her.
. Yes the sooner the better, I saved one and lost one. The one I lost went for a couple days before I really new why she was glancing up at me with her little head tilted. It broke my heart;( good luck!:)

My 2 year old Amercauna just started doing this. When she drinks, she tilts her head all the way back onto her neck and sometimes stumbles backwards cuz her head is so far back. I looked down her throat tonight wondering if something was blocking the throat but didn't see anything. Then found this thread. She hasn't been vaccinated for anything. She is my "dingbat", my pet out of all the other chickens I have. Could she have this wry neck at this age? HELP!

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a silkie with wry neck and you are so right, it is heart wrenching. Mine got it on Dec 23 and I took her to the vet. I stayed up with her all night long on Christmas eve crying my eyes out, praying for her survival. She is still sick a month later. I have been giving her the selenium and vitamin e in her water in a strong dose but she is not improving. She can eat and drink on her own, but then she starts cleaning herself and flips herself upside down. It is heartbreaking to see, but she still has her personality and I just love her. She is 51/2 month old. I think I will try the darkness now because being in the sunlight does bring on more episodes. I feel bad keeping her in the box, but maybe that is the only way to help her from stressing herself out. Thank you for the post.

Dingbat still tilts her head way back when she drinks but she seems fine other than that. I guess her name is appropriate for her.

I'm so happy that your baby is doing well I have some chicks that were born yesterday and I have one that is tilting her head to the left so we're going to go ahead and jump on it with the vitamins and stuff now other than that she's chirping very loudly she seems very strong-willed so wish me luck

Hi. I read your post on wry neck. I'm so happy for you and I know it's been 3 years for Bo, but I am dealing with a little chick 6 weeks old with a crooked neck. She developed it at 3 weeks. We had to hatch her out of her egg. 11 hatched normal but she tried for 48 hours. She is our Miracle. I am so attached to her. I am her mom. My first time for all of this. And it is fm optional. I cry. I tried so hard to make sure she is okay. I took her to the vet twice. No answers for the wry neck although she had not absorbed her yolk sack and we did not know it. It abscesses and the vet removed it. You could tell she felt much better but the crooked neck stayed and seems to be a little worse this week. I've been giving her the electrolyte water and vitamins with water with a little molasses in it. She loves the molasses water. But I heard about selenium but the vet said she thought trace amounts would help but was not sure how to get trace amounts. I have researched and researched. Can you tell what amounts of selenium and vitamin e you used in the poly vu sol?

I know it's been a long time but I'm desperate for help.

Thanks

Traci

Back
Top Bottom