A heap of questions-Buttons and coturnix.

LuckyQuail

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
New Zealand
My button questions are as follows-
- Can button quail hatch coturnix quail? Like placed eggs in their nests.
- If in a 28 C 24/7 heated room will they hatch their own chicks?
-How many should I get? I have to get rite of some Coturnix but will be getting buttons. I would like to have a go at them raising there own young. 1 male to X females etc..
My coturnix quails are
-Anybody used homemade incubators?
-I have heard a sponge in water controls humidity in a homemade incubator is this reliable?
-I have one with a dislocated hip, what do I do?
- How long does it take new quail to settle and lay eggs? It has been two weeks without an egg.
-Is it better to get oyster grit at 2.50 New Zealand dollars a Kilogram or three oyster grit large mats ar 5 New Zealand dollars.
-Grass mowings okay for their cages?

If more info is needed I can provide it.
Thank you so much!

THE COTURNIX all seem to be boys but look colour wise to be girls. I am so confused on sexing I have read like ten sexing things but they all seem to 'crow'

Last edited:
My button questions are as follows-
- Can button quail hatch coturnix quail? Like placed eggs in their nests. Buttons are very poor incubators and half the size of coturnix so I would say no.
- If in a 28 C 24/7 heated room will they hatch their own chicks? some do and most don't! Buttons is what I am talking about I don't know about the coturnix
-How many should I get? I have to get rite of some Coturnix but will be getting buttons. I would like to have a go at them raising there own young. 1 male to X females etc.. Buttons should be kept in single pairs. One male to one female. If happy they might incubate but you cannot rely on them to.
My coturnix quails are Like I said I don't know about them but someone here will help I m sure.
-Anybody used homemade incubators?
-I have heard a sponge in water controls humidity in a homemade incubator is this reliable? doesn't control humidity but helps to raise it if needed
-I have one with a dislocated hip, what do I do?
- How long does it take new quail to settle and lay eggs? It has been two weeks without an egg.
-Is it better to get oyster grit at 2.50 New Zealand dollars a Kilogram or three oyster grit large mats ar 5 New Zealand dollars.
-Grass mowings okay for their cages?

If more info is needed I can provide it.
Thank you so much!

THE COTURNIX all seem to be boys but look colour wise to be girls. I am so confused on sexing I have read like ten sexing things but they all seem to 'crow'

Back
Top Bottom