A Heritage of Perfection: Standard-bred Large Fowl

Me too, I was hoping Joseph would opine on my idea of crossing Light Sussex with white Dorkings.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Me too, I was hoping Joseph would opine on my idea of crossing Light Sussex with white Dorkings.
Best,
Karen

Karen, did you see post 746? I think he did respond to your idea but I don't think he quoted your post when he did it.
------
post 746:
Karen, I did a White Dorking-Light Sussex cross about a decade ago. It works. It would take you two to three seasons to stabilize. In a couple of seasons, I should be able to send you chicks.

In the interim, your stock is looking good. I know exactly what you mean about the loose feathered shenanigans. Are you able to raise out 40 birds?
--------------------------------------
Why no, I missed that post. Been away from the computer a few days last week and just missed it. Thank you Joseph! How did you deal with the problem of mixed alleles with the Dorking being E or ER and the Sussex being eWh? Didn't that make it harder to sift the Dorking out of the Sussex genes, and vice versa? I mean as far as the color breeding true? Did you see a significant enough change in body structure to warrant the cross? I admit to being leery of how long comb issues would take to stabilize since the Dorkings are rose comb and the Sussex are straight comb. Did you get one or the other comb? Or have to deal with intermediates?
Yes, I could raise out 40 birds. That is my upper limit.
Thanks!
Karen

Last edited:
Here are a handful of check in photos for some Rose Comb Ancona pullets we have growing out. There is a measure of grace in Mediterranean fowl that is hard to match. The mottled color pattern is difficult to perfect. We have around sixty pullets growing out; we retain about seven for breeding. These are young yet for highly eliminatory culling; we won't do that until mid/late-September.

Here are a handful of check in photos for some Rose Comb Ancona pullets we have growing out. There is a measure of grace in Mediterranean fowl that is hard to match. The mottled color pattern is difficult to perfect. We have around sixty pullets growing out; we retain about seven for breeding. These are young yet for highly eliminatory culling; we won't do that until mid/late-September.

Excellent. I wish that I could walk your yard and see these birds active and in person.

Karen, I did a White Dorking-Light Sussex cross about a decade ago. It works. It would take you two to three seasons to stabilize. In a couple of seasons, I should be able to send you chicks.

In the interim, your stock is looking good. I know exactly what you mean about the loose feathered shenanigans. Are you able to raise out 40 birds?
Joseph, How did that cross go? You can send me chicks from that cross in a couple of seasons? Is that what you meant? I know you were working from Sussex to Dorking in your culling, however, did you see a blending of that wonderful Dorking body in the Sussex chicks in the 1st and second generations? Were there any particular traits which you found "sticky" to work with and eliminate?
Thanks,
Karen

Glad to see someone working with the breed :) Hoping I will have the space to add them to my flock very soon.

With all the rains we had this spring, I got a late start on hatching from my Columbian Wyandotte pen. I'm still working on improving the barn and trying to pay attention to combs and lacing. Now the temps are in the 100s so I'm finishing up the last hatch this week. I just finished painting the buildings and I was dripping paint everywhere.....It was really hot outside that afternoon.

I have a few photos of some of the birds I have selected to hold back to watch them grow before the final cut....

Two young hens from the first hatches in January before the rains hit. These two are laying nice sized egg now. I especially like the hen on the right. Leg color could be more yellow. In the foreground is the head of one of the 8 month cockerels I set aside....I like his comb. His legs are more yellow than the hens. His tail is not the dark black I want, but his stature and weight are good. He seems to have a nice clear back too.

This young bird is also Blue Columbian looking...but there are other qualities to still consider. This one is only 4 months old.

This pullet is 5 months old. I like her width on her head, her lacing and the substance in her body. Her leg color is a little better than the hens, Watching her beak and neck feathers...is that shafting on her neck?

Back
Top Bottom