A Journey Through a Different Way - Funny Story Pg. 69

Congrats! This thread is one year old today.

Your story is so enjoyable to read. What an incredible journey! You are a strong woman and you truly inspire me.
woot.gif

Quote:
I think he said the daddy had wolf in it's bloodline (small amount) but the mama was pure bred.

Didnt see that part - just saw where they said they were purebred Great Pyrs. Regardless.......they will make fantastic dogs and hopefully wonderful protectors!!!

From what I have learned from ranchers around here, start putting them with your animals ASAP. Raise them in close contact with them and you will have some great guard dogs for life! Wish I had one myself. Like I said though, I'm raising our GSD in that manner. Now she goes over to their brooder, sticks her head over, checks on them then leaves them alone. I watch her to make sure she doesn't try to get in with them, but se just looks at them. I do the same thing with our goat we have in the yard. I love your setup and am going to try the same with our babies. Very inspiring to read.
big_smile.png

Well they had their first introductions to my herd of little goats today and it did NOT go well. DH and I carried them into stables to meet the herd. Put them down and within two seconds and before I could do anything, Confetti started head ramming the poor little girl. She was screaming for her life and Confetti got in at least five good rams with her down on the ground before I could pull her off the puppy. I guess the mama goat thought she was protecting her babies. I also guess she didn't get the memo that these dogs are supposed to be living with them and protecting them.
smile.png
Luckily the little girl puppy didn't seem to be harmed physically, she may never want to go near the goats again, but she's o.k. I've asked her not to hold it against Confetti or kill and eat Confetti when's she's older and bigger.

As far as them being pure bred, he originally said they were but in the course of the conversation said something about the daddy being part wolf and the babies being 1/8th wolf. The little boy looks just like his daddy who was huge, like a horse, and the little girls all looked just like the mama, solid white.

They are quickly learning some basic commands and seem to have mastered "come" and "sit" the first day. I'm a little concerned that I haven't seen the little girl poop since we got them yesterday and I'm crate training them so I know she hasn't gone. I'm about to go take them out again, it's been every two hours all night long. It's funny, the peacocks surround them and kind of stalk them when they are out walking around as if to say "hey, we're watchdogs too."

They've met all of the pack of the other 5 dogs and everyone seems to get along. Prissy is the only one who keeps her distance. Scarlett is already playing with them. They will be a more approriate (size-wise) playmate for her than Prissy.

Try introducing them to the other goats. The momma Confetti is just trying to protect her babies. Natural instinct. Once the babies are older she will settle down with them. Then they can get to know each other better.

I know what you mean about smart dogs. Kira is my first GSD and she is amazingly intelligent. She learned her name in one day and I almost have her potty trained. We have a few accidents during the day, but none at night. Kinda funny. The little girl just needs to adjust to a new home. She will probably be fine.

Peacocks will guard your flock. I have heard they will chase off coons and snakes. I am trying to get some myself, but they are expensive and hard to find. I'm going to get some geese later this month. They are a lot like peacocks from what I have heard.

You're going to love your GSD, especially after it's a couple of years old and starts to settle down and lose that hyper, "I just can't control my energy" phase. I was so impressed with the breed, Rex anyway, that I got the GSD puppy, Scarlett last May so she could learn from the master. She will be one year old this month but is just so hyper and is going through the "I've just got to jump on you" phase. Just be patient and train and work with them. They need a job and need to have that energy run off each day. I throw balls for all of them - call it first, like "Rex's ball or Scarlett's ball" and they each go after their own ball. It requires mental thought and physical energy and they are all soon panting. Prissy, by the way, the little Min Pin, is like greased lightning and can outrun the Shepherds in nothing flat.

Quote:
Hey what do you know - I didn't know that - one year ago today. My how time has flown by and the farm and all of its animals have increased. I came here Christmas (year ago) with 13 chickens, 2 dogs, 4 cats. Today's guesstimate:

200 +/- chickens; 20 ducks; 6 peacocks; 7 dogs; 2 cats; 2 geese; 7 goats and 100 eggs in incubator - plus just stocked the pond with 100 catfish and the very large, raised-bed garden is going in as we speak and the seeds and plants are on their way. It's been a busy past year and this one has just begun.

Thank you Lord for this journey.

Back
Top Bottom