A little advice on breeds needed...

The old saying "birds of the same feather flock together" is true, my BO chicks stay one once side of the coop and the EE/Ameraucana/Araucana's stay on the other half and they are segregating themselves... interesting to watch.

My lil RIR roo chick is already asserting his claim over the BO lil roo chick so I told that Red Randy Roo he's going to be put in w/his sister chick and 8 RIR hens b4 he knows it...so the BO Brewster Rooster can keep his girls in peace... they are feathering out now.

I have 1 BO, 1 BR and 1 red s-link and 2 bantam RIRs, and they are all good layers. The BO and red s-link often lay double yokers. They are each laying an egg/day.

The BO (Goldie) is very friendly and laid back. I had to separate her from the flock for a couple days when she was younger, because my bantam RIR's wouldn't let her eat. Once she got to eat for a couple days, I put her back in with the flock and she has not had any problems since.

The red s-link (Reba) is the most curious one. She is pretty friendly, and mischevious. She has no problem flying up to land in the bowl of treats in your hand. She usually knocks it so the sunflower seeds, or hard-boiled eggs go flying on the ground.
She loves her treats.

The BR (Bertie) is not as friendly as the other two, but once you catch her, she will put up with petting and telling her she is a pretty girl.

My RIRs (Ethel & Lucy) are good layers, but can be a bit bossy to the other hens. I just got 4 standard RIR chicks, so I am not sure how they will be.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Now I have to convince my wife...and decide if Australorps, RIRs, or Barred Rocks are best.

The latter may be easier than the former!
All three are great breeds. I'd rank them this way:

A-lorps
BR
RIR

Were you able to contact that RIR breeder in Bishopville, SC?​

There was actually a breeder within 4 miles of my house. We got 3 of each and are going to wait and see what we got sex wise. If we got lucky and got nine hens, I'll have to get busy and make a new run. They are absolutley wonderful little birds. The Australorps are the youngest, though, and need a little extra looking after. The other six are older and well on their way. We are going to sell the cockerels if there are any. I may go back and get two more of each to make sure we have three hens of each, but I would have to build a larger pen, which I'm willing to do. It'll be a while before they lay anything. 18 weeks is longer than it sounds.

Ugh, this is Wraith, just my wife's account was logged in.

Last edited:
just my two cents, my very mixed flock gets along fine, and my two white leg horns are the first two to greet me at the door every morning. they are not flighty/nervous, and if let out of their pen follow me everywhere. they're fine with the kids too. i honestly think it's how you raise them, any of them.

Quote:
Yeah, but I can't keep nine. I was going for three Australorp hens, but I realized while driving home I screwed up by getting the variety. I should have gotten six A-lorps instead of the mix. We are planning on keeping three hens, so I imagine we'll have one hen from each set. I like to think I run this place, but my wife pretty much gets what she wants. Her argument was that our son will be able to tell the birds apart easier if we have one of each. The RIRs are the smartest, it looks like. I hate to split them up and if we wound up with nine hens (not likely) I plan to try to find a way to keep them all. If not I know people who'll take them off my hands. A buddy of mine had a leghorn get eggbound, so he'd like a hen. If they are roosters they may be eaten, but I'll try to find them a good home.

Last edited:
Incidently, I should have taken some pictures of the guys set up. He had a bunch of dog pens with covers over them. It was called the Rocky Ford Chicken Farm. He had some beautiful Buff Orpingtons and Silver Wyandotte. The pens were facing inward around a huge open area that the chickens could run around in when they were let out. The chicks were in a shed and were hatched from incubators. He had dogs, ducks, and rabbits too. He had only had one problem with predators and from what he said it sounded like raccoons. He said he lost 35 young pullets in one pen to something that "reached in and pulled their heads off through the fence." That's a raccoon, right? Anyway, the guy has a lot of birds and chicks in a fairly small operation and is nice as can be. He let my son tour his little operation and is just a really nice guy. If we need chicks in the future, we'll definately go back to him.

Dh and I have (pet) chickens, but are wanting to get some great layers. Out of the breeds talked about in this thread what would any of you suggest? Looking for 2-3 top choices and ones that can lay often with good size.

Back
Top Bottom