A little fun- Chicken math!

educate2inspire

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 12, 2012
The Dalles, OR
I didn't know where else to post this and I thought the category could accommodate this:

I was once again sitting out in my yard, hanging out with the chickens, giving them treats, smiling ridiculously, laughing at their antics- you know, the usual. (I know it's not just me) I realized I'd once again just let the time drift away as I spent time with the chickens. It got me thinking. This is not the kind of chicken math I was warned about!! I've gone down to check on them real quick (5 minutes) and ended up down there for 30 minutes. Or like just now, I figured 15 minutes, but there went an hour! I really love having chickens, knew I would, but never had any idea how much I would
smile.png
Any other chicken math (besides the "normal" kind) that you've discovered in your life since having chickens??

Chicken math- that's where you start with 6 chickens just for some fresh eggs and end up with 20 or 30 or more because you want to try different breeds or just because they looked neat( I have a pair of Polish because of that!). Next is the time factor. Checking on them for "just a few minutes" a few times a day. Not to mention checking on them after sundown to make sure everyone is in the coop and healthy(and to tell each and every one good night, see you in the morning). After that comes the chicken math of waiting and counting days the broody hens have been sitting on eggs, candling, checking, waiting, checking, waiting.....
That's where I am with it!

Yep! The normal kind, the "timewarp" kind, I am sure I have others... I am not planning to hatch eggs, so I won't deal with that last one (LOL, that's of course what many who hatch eggs think to begin with, but we cannot have roosters and had to cull two of our birds because they ended up being roosters.) I know there have to be more!

LOL. You can't have roosters but wait until you go to a few chicken swaps after one of your hens decides to go broody! Lots of ppl have eggs for sale- don't need a roo!

Luckily none of our hens have gone broody, but they did only just start laying last week! Yeah, I know the roosters are beautiful, and I would have loved to keep ours, but since we went through having to cull our own I don't think we'll be buying any no matter how beautiful they are! We bought seven pullets and two ended up being roos, I don't think I will ever buy fertilized eggs to hatch given the odds are even worse than buying 98%-sexed (ha!) I'd probably end up with ALL roosters I couldn't keep!! lol

Of course, the rules of chicken math include NEVER say never
duc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom