A little help please, broody goose......

Unruffled

Songster
5 Years
Aug 13, 2018
I have 1 goose and 3 ganders ( American Buff) that I incubated and hatched last April. About 3 weeks to a month ago my goose started laying an egg every one to two days, but she wasn’t broody and we weren’t planning on any more geese this soon so I was taking the eggs.
Then she started sitting on them(she had two plus some duck eggs). But I noticed 2 days went by and she never got off the nest( not that I saw) so I removed her from the nest so that she would care for herself. Anyway, the goose eggs are no longer there and she is playing musical nest going to whichever nest has eggs in it and she does not want to leave the nest to care for herself.

My question is, should I let her sit on some duck eggs til they hatch or should I keep removing “her” eggs?

I have 1 goose and 3 ganders ( American Buff) that I incubated and hatched last April. About 3 weeks to a month ago my goose started laying an egg every one to two days, but she wasn’t broody and we weren’t planning on any more geese this soon so I was taking the eggs.
Then she started sitting on them(she had two plus some duck eggs). But I noticed 2 days went by and she never got off the nest( not that I saw) so I removed her from the nest so that she would care for herself. Anyway, the goose eggs are no longer there and she is playing musical nest going to whichever nest has eggs in it and she does not want to leave the nest to care for herself.

My question is, should I let her sit on some duck eggs til they hatch or should I keep removing “her” eggs?
Honestly it’s up to you, she’ll probably hatch some goslings or ducklings if you let her, being a 1 year old she might not be an expierienced brooder so you may not get any. If you don’t want any babies just keep removing the eggs, she’ll stop being broody eventually.

When they first start sitting on a nest they can stay on it for four of five days. They might get off for a quick drink without being noticed but I think it's just stamina. If you decide to let her set on eggs, put feed and water far enough away that she has to get off the nest and do some walking to eat and drink. Otherwise she's probably just going to poop in the nest.

If you want her to set but don't want more geese you can just put two or more goose eggs in hot water for 10 minutes and give those to her. Mark them so you can remove any new eggs laid in the nest. She'll set on them, not hatch them, and eventually give up. I don't think hatching ducks benefits her any, and, unless you need more ducks, doesn't get you much either.

Slightly tangential, but I have to ask: how is that ratio of ganders to goose working out? I'd be worried that that many boys would run a goose ragged, but it seems like it's working out for your gaggle..?

I'm interested in possibly adding Buffs to my waterfowl group and am curious about if their reputed mellowness extends to breeding season. 🙂

Slightly tangential, but I have to ask: how is that ratio of ganders to goose working out? I'd be worried that that many boys would run a goose ragged, but it seems like it's working out for your gaggle..?

I'm interested in possibly adding Buffs to my waterfowl group and am curious about if their reputed mellowness extends to breeding season. 🙂
I have two buffs and they're very mellow. The downside of that is that they tend to get bullied in a mixed flock, especially during breeding season.

Honestly it’s up to you, she’ll probably hatch some goslings or ducklings if you let her, being a 1 year old she might not be an expierienced brooder so you may not get any. If you don’t want any babies just keep removing the eggs, she’ll stop being broody eventually.
Thank you for your response. I was just concerned that if I keep removing the eggs that she would be broody indefinitely. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom