A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
@DuckLady This thread doesn't fit the topics in your sticky post, so feel free to move it if you know where it goes.
I am researching like crazy to ascertain what breed of chicken I want. I am leaning toward Wyandottes. Reading up on the "circle" description, and looking at pictures and a few in real life, I can see it. But before I go saying "that's a Wyandotte" and sounding like a moron. Are there other breeds that exhibit this "circle" characteristic?

@DuckLady This thread doesn't fit the topics in your sticky post, so feel free to move it if you know where it goes.
I am researching like crazy to ascertain what breed of chicken I want. I am leaning toward Wyandottes. Reading up on the "circle" description, and looking at pictures and a few in real life, I can see it. But before I go saying "that's a Wyandotte" and sounding like a moron. Are there other breeds that exhibit this "circle" characteristic?
Are you talking about the lacing on the outer edge of each body feather? If so, yes. There are other laced breeds. Some also have pencilling, which is like lacing with another two little ovals inside of it.

I had to look up what you meant by the circle characteristic. Are you mostly interested in show birds? I hadn’t considered it in my birds but I can understand what they describe. What I look at to ID a Wyandotte is the rose comb, yellow non feathered legs, four toes and many color varieties have laced feathers. I’ve looked at a lot of pictures too. And I have three gold laced and two silver laced. When they were tiny they had fierce lucha libre faces.

They have lovely temperaments. One of my pullets is a bit grumpy, but I can pick her up if I like.

Good luck on choosing your flock!

Are you talking about the lacing on the outer edge of each body feather? If so, yes. There are other laced breeds. Some also have pencilling, which is like lacing with another two little ovals inside of it.

I think he is talking about this from backyard poultry.
A5C71B40-EB8E-44FF-87B8-8DC74C828335.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom