A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing

Outstanding. I have the attention of Wyandotte owners and Cochin owners. I feel like I might learn something today.
First, I'm not looking for show Birds. I'm not willing to pay the price, and quite frankly, I'm not worthy of giving them their due. But if I could find a chicken with, say a comb that was kind of off and keep them from showing, but everything else was sop, I would be tickled as a pig in mud. I like Beauty, and I like the best quality that I can afford. Chickens that approach perfection don't cost any more to feed than the mutts that I have running around my backyard now.( those are my training chickens, I appreciate them, and I take good care of them. They have given me pleasure....and lots of yummy eggs.) I also didn't learn to drive and the latest year model Corvette. But now I would like to "trade up" to something flashier than a 20 year old Ford.
And to continue with the car comparison, there are just so many beautiful ones out there, each with its own strong points and weaknesses. To me, Wyandottes just say "CHICKEN". At the risk of p.o.ing anyone (there are some people on this site who get really upset if you don't agree that "their" breed is the epitome of chickendom) there are breeds out there that just leave me cold. Let someone offer me a Silkie who won Best of Show in an APA show, and I would say politely "thats very nice, but no thank you". But a Wyandotte thats a few steps off from being show quality....now we're talking. The form (circles I was talking about) is pleasing to my psyche. Plus th coloring on many of them (WillowSpirit, if you have a mysterious predator who opens your coop with a bolt cutter, and your gold laced and silver laced are just vanished, you may want to look me up :lau) just blows me away!
Whew! Apologies for getting carried away with the length of this. Anyhow, to the point of the thread. I was at a county fair this week (for the chickens of course). As I entered the barn, immediately, 3/4 of the way down, about 20 birds away, I saw what I KNEW was a Wyandotte. Not close enough to see the color of the legs or count the toes or even tell if it had a true rose comb. But the profile was unmistakable. Now to the wonderful folks who have told me about Cochins. YES. The body styles are very similar, but from some quick picture research, they are mabe a little more oval shaped than round. But still very eye pleasing. And most certainly a close second in my drool book...but I'd have a little trouble with those feathery legs. Can you teach a hen to shave her legs?
So yes, Willowspirit. The circle you illustrated is exactly what I was talking about. Silly novice me just assumed everyone else knew. Actually it appears to be two circles.....the body AND the head, deep, short, and also somewhat forming a circle.
So, I have been educated. My question answered. I better be careful. And get a closer look. Cause that Wyandotte that I spot at a distance MIGHT just turn out to have feathery legs. LOL.
Thanks EVERYBODY. It was an enlightening thread. I learned. And Willowspirit, when you went out to release the birds this morning, I bet you saw circles.

I saw it on my Orp, too - haha! When I think of the perfect, standard, species-defining chicken breed, I think of Orps. That there is the most chickeny chicken I can think of.

I agree. All of mine are buff but that does not mean plain. I think they are gorgeous. Watching them scratch around and the seeing their fluffy butts as they walk away to their next chickening place is sheer joy.

Last edited:
Yes! I just have the one BO, but, gosh, she's pretty! Her feathers are nice and shiny... And she's sweet and the best layer I have. And such a good mama!

Here she is when she wasn't 100% because of worms. And she was still lovely:
20190711_202725.jpg

Yes! I just have the one BO, but, gosh, she's pretty! Her feathers are nice and shiny... And she's sweet and the best layer I have. And such a good mama!

Here she is when she wasn't 100% because of worms. And she was still lovely:
View attachment 1938513

Don’t you love the color of her neck feathers against her body color? The birds in my av are my Orps.

I have a Wyandotte bantam who is pretty & sweet natured but I have learnt that despite her good looks I am better off with her flightier sisters ~ Campines. I think we end up choosing the chickens that mesh best with our own personalities.

Edit because the computer crashed @ the critical moment...:lau

Last edited:
@Xerocles, we have a GLW cockerel, aged 5.5 months. Looks like a circle on a stick. Very round body on tall legs. Seems to have nice lacing too. Anyway, we think he looks a little like a moose-big body on tall and skinny legs :lau. Will be interesting to see how he grows up. Will try to get a pic. A bit hard bc he always has one eye out for head rooster, and ready to run.

we have a 19 month SLW. Terrible lacing, not sure she has the circle look. But, sassy personality and works well in the flock, so she stays. Here she is recently.
A15A417B-4DF7-45C1-9ACD-3FB1D064D7A7.jpeg

KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY! Maybe this should be a whole new thread. Possibly even an article. Let's see. We started with Wyandottes. Somebody tossed in Cochins. And then lovely Orpington made an entry.
Let's start with a gold laced Wyandotte. Develop from a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Cochin / Leg Horn cross. And the Cochin breed came from China, Heritage lost.
Of course the Silver Laced Wyandotte came from a cross of the Hamburg (dashing good looks) with the Brahma (sexy voluptious body). And the Brahma? Chinese, heritage lost. Orpington? Minorca cock X Plymouth hen (with some Langshan tossed in) which was developed from Cochin/Brahma.
So the Brahma, Cochin, & Langshan all came from China, heritage unknown. And the Orp was Cochin/Brahma (both Chinese) and Wyandotte is predominately Cochin/Brahma.
With limited trade with China and piss-poor record keeping back in the day, the Brahma and Cochin could be very closely related, or maybe even variations of the same chicken!
We might all be admiring the same chicken.
Kind of reminds me of some family trees in the Southern Appalachians (I'm from Southern Appalachia so I can say that)
Anyway. They're all very similar. And all very beautiful. And we love them all very much.

KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY! Maybe this should be a whole new thread. Possibly even an article. Let's see. We started with Wyandottes. Somebody tossed in Cochins. And then lovely Orpington made an entry.
Let's start with a gold laced Wyandotte. Develop from a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Cochin / Leg Horn cross. And the Cochin breed came from China, Heritage lost.
Of course the Silver Laced Wyandotte came from a cross of the Hamburg (dashing good looks) with the Brahma (sexy voluptious body). And the Brahma? Chinese, heritage lost. Orpington? Minorca cock X Plymouth hen (with some Langshan tossed in) which was developed from Cochin/Brahma.
So the Brahma, Cochin, & Langshan all came from China, heritage unknown. And the Orp was Cochin/Brahma (both Chinese) and Wyandotte is predominately Cochin/Brahma.
With limited trade with China and piss-poor record keeping back in the day, the Brahma and Cochin could be very closely related, or maybe even variations of the same chicken!
We might all be admiring the same chicken.
Kind of reminds me of some family trees in the Southern Appalachians (I'm from Southern Appalachia so I can say that)
Anyway. They're all very similar. And all very beautiful. And we love them all very much.
I love everything about this post.

And chickens. I love everything about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom