A Little Shotgun Help, Please!

bluey

thootp veteran
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Washington, PA
Now, I'm looking to add a shotgun that I'd like to use for turkey hunting and varmint control. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just accurate and functional.

I figured I'd ask those of you that own shotguns to recommend particular models. Also, should I go with a 12 or 20 ga gun? I'm assuming the 20 ga gives me a tighter spray of shot, is that correct?

Also, what other features should I be aware of that make a difference in a shotgun?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations...

Last edited:
well i dont know about you but i am a small framed individual. so the gun that fits me like a glove and is all around a great gun and priced very reasonably is my mossberg 500 bantam w/ youth stock. i would recomend the 20guage if you dont want as much kick. it will def. do the job no problem.

If you are going to use it for turkey hunting, I suggest a 12 ga. that shoot 3 inch shells.

You can shoot 2 3/4 shells in it for varmit control but you can shoot 3 inch shells for turkey.

Just my opinion.

I shoot a .410 and a 17 hmr for varmit control around my house.

Darin

I hunt birds with a 12 gauge with a modified choke. I don't miss much. They have a little kick but not much- I think my 30.06 rifle kicks more. I'm not a big guy- 5'6 and 165lbs and it's an easy gun to handle for me.

Mine is a Remington 870. I highly recommend this brand and model no matter what caliber you decide to go with. Excellent gun- mine has been carried through a lot of wilderness with me.

Our whole family have been avid bird hunters all our lives. Our gun of choice is a Remington 870 pump shotgun with either a full choke or Win-Choke barrel would be a great turkey gun. I have had both the 20 gauge and the 12 gauge. 12 gauge would give you better range and killing power. If you put a padded stock plate on and also add some lead to the stock, then the 12 gauge will not kick any worse than a 20 gauge. For turkey I would be more apt to use a buckshot load as it won't damage the meat as bad. Hope that helps you.

Mossberg does make a nice reasonably priced shotgun. I do suggest you get a 12 guage if you plan to hunt with it and I also suggest one that you can change out the chokes in to suit whatever purpose you need the gun for. A full choke gives you the tightest pattern and if you want more of a wide spray you can put a modified choke in. It will allow you to customize the gun to your needs.
I personally hunt with a Browning or a benelli but Mossberg is a good all round gun with a moderate pricetag.

definately 12 ga w / 3" mag for turkeys..

kids 12 yrs old use 12 ga for turkeys around here..

they do not "kick" if you pull it tight into your shoulder.. If you hold it lightly and it recoils into your shoulder , yeah, they all kick.

In fact, try it with a .22...It will not kick you hard, but you can practice and get the feel for what I said..

........jiminwisc.........

Back
Top Bottom