A Little Shotgun Help, Please!

Well, my Remington 870 12 gauge aint never let me down yet, I've shot quite a few shotguns in my life, but that one's my favorite, hands down! And about recoil, I really caint help ya there, I aint recoil sensitive at all, it just depends on you if the recoil's bad or not.

12 guauge will be more bang for your buck($$$)It is the most popular and the easiest to find ammo for.Also will be cheaper too.Buy the shell that fits your needs. Will

Years ago because of a shoulder problem, I purchased a Remington 1100 LT-20 gauge. I needed the light weight back then. My shoulder is alright now, but I still love how the gun feels and handles.

I got a benelli nova with a camo pattern on it 1) because it was cheap, 2) because it wasn't blued and 3) because that thing will throw a TIGHT wad at 60+ yards with the extra full turkey choke in it. I do not like Benelli shotguns really but it was like $200 something and hasn't let me down yet!

Since you didn't say if you are right or left handed, I will give you the top two choices. As stated the Rem. 870, hard to beat. If it were me I would go with an Ithaca pump. I have both and use the Ithaca more for the shells are released out the bottom vs the side as all the others. Turkey, deer or predators use the 3" shells. One other feature on the Ithaca, the deerslayer model has a rifle barrel for slugs. As for the pattern of the pellets, this is defined by the barrel choke, not the gauge of the gun. A 12 ga with a full choke will hold a tighter pattern than a 20 ga with a modified choke. If the gun is fit properly and held tightly against you shoulder, the kick will not be felt. You can but a gun anyplace, but it takes a GOOD gunsmith to fit the gun right. Stocks come in many lenghts and drops, a stock that would fit me in lenght would be useless for you. This is because of the lenght of my arms and the way I look down the barrel to sight on the target. Either one would be a good choice. The gun I liked shooting the best as a kid was a JC Higgins
pump. For those of you youngsters, that gun was sold by Sears for $29.00 in 12ga, a little less if you got a 20 or 410 ga.

As always, great information Panner!

I am right handed and 6'2", so recoil isn't much of an issue.

I am enjoying hearing everyone's shotgun preferences, please keep 'em coming!

Last edited:
Remington 870, 12 gauge... if you want lighter recoil, you can get lighter loads.

If you want a really well made shotgun, look for an older used Wingmaster. It's an 870 but made like the Police version... no MIM parts, metal, it is made much better than the general production 870's that you see at WalMart or the local gun shop. A nice used Wingmaster won't cost much and the quality will make it a family heirloom.

But for turkey hunting, you will probably want the 3" chamber which brings you back to the regular 870's.

Personally I have the 870 Super Magnum with a 3.5" chamber so I can shoot anything from the lightest loads to a 10 ga. equivalent load.

Quote:
I was considering that shotgun for myself
smile.png
I have a small frame and though I use and LOVE our winchester defender, I really would like to have one that fits me better.

Kick really is all about load and weapon handling. I do recommend the butt cushion for someone sensitive to kick.

I'm female, 5'6" with very small hands, I can still use the defender happily. I would be more comfortable with an overall shorter gun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom