A Little Shotgun Help, Please!

I agree that the Remington 870 is a good beginner's gun. Look at the different finish levels and decide for yourself how much you want to spend. The cheapest ones are the plain jane Express models which have the cheapest wood and and a matte finish, (which may be what you want for a turkey gun). I've always like the Wingmaster, with the traditional blued finish and walnut stock, but I grew up duck hunting.

Get a 12 gauge. A 20 gauge does not necessarily have a lighter kick. Lighter guns have more recoil. If the 12 gauge kicks too much use a lighter load. I shoot 1000's of shells a year from a Browning over/under 12 gauge. It is a nine pound gun. I have no problem with recoil even with heavy target loads. Shooting the typical 20 gauge target load with the kids' 870 youth model just tears me up. It's just too light of a gun for heavy loads. We do have a 20 gauge Beretta AL391 that's a dream to shoot though. The gas operated action really soaks up the recoil.

I have a 12 gauge Benelli Nova pump action shotgun, and I love it. I really really love it. It is a great gun.

eta It has VERY LITTLE recoil.

Last edited:
I'd go with a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag they shoot 2 3\\4 to 3 1\\2 and can take a beating! I used one for yrs waterfowl hunting and dropped it in the creek and it still worked when I pulled it out. I've had sand kicked in the chamber and still worked(pumped a little harder then normal) I love that gun its my go to gun when my semi isn't working right!! hope this helps.

Last edited:
Quote:
I still haven't purchased a shotgun yet since the earlier thread I started on the same subject, so I'm reading all these comments with great interest.

I'm left-handed, 6 feet tall, heavy built, but I want to avoid recoil because of bad shoulders. I do plan on getting a recoil pad (whatever the official name is for that). Is the shell release problem important enough for me to avoid the 870?

Quote:
I still haven't purchased a shotgun yet since the earlier thread I started on the same subject, so I'm reading all these comments with great interest.

I'm left-handed, 6 feet tall, heavy built, but I want to avoid recoil because of bad shoulders. I do plan on getting a recoil pad (whatever the official name is for that). Is the shell release problem important enough for me to avoid the 870?

What shell release problem?

Quote:
Panner was talking about handedness and then mentioned the Ithaca as an alternative to the 870 because of a different shell release, so I assumed the two were related. Maybe not!

Quote:
Panner was talking about handedness and then mentioned the Ithaca as an alternative to the 870 because of a different shell release, so I assumed the two were related. Maybe not!

Ahh ok. I can see how the shell release may be a problem if you shoot left handed.

I am right handed but left eye dominant and I've been told that I should buy left handed firearms because of it. I've managed to adjust my shooting because I won't pay the extra money for the left handed guns.

Quote:
lol.png
I'm not sure but I was told in hunter's Ed that I would shoot better with a left-handed gun. They started throwing out prices on what they would cost and I never even bothered to investigate.

I imagine it would have to do with what direction the bolt was on a rifle, as well as which direction the shell ejects.

Back
Top Bottom