A mean Roo from the start???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuttyredhead, Apr 11, 2011.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    I hatched 5 chickens, 4 are roosters lol. THey will be 8 weeks tomorrow. My Pheonix is just plain mean. He is ok in the grow out brooder, but once i let him out forget it. He attacks everyone from the hens to his brother roos. I walked in one day and he had one of my older girls pinned on the floor, holding her crown. And he isnt trying to do his manly thing either....

Any one else have a mean one from this young?

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think I have you beat, hatched 7 and 6 are roos! Mine are around 10 weeks and I've seen nothing anywhere near that bad, only some chest bumping. Maybe he's volunteering to be one that will have to go.... Here he would be.

3. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC
    Yes, I'm afraid his behavior might not get any better with time...

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I've started seeing mean behavior from my leghorn roo and he's only 7 weeks old, He grabbed my sons finger and shook it. Once he gets a little bigger, he'll be kept in a seperate pen and will be raised for meat.

5. bailey'smama

bailey'smama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Yes, I had a mean rooster from last year's hatch and there was no fixing him. He was aggressive with everyone, and he just had to go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by