A mental disorder?

ikoCRO

Songster
Nov 27, 2020
Greeting!
In my many years of poultry breeding, for the first time I am faced with the problem that my silkie rooster currently has.
It all started when all four of his silkie girls became broody. They were horrible, they stole each other's eggs, they lay on top of each other, they broke the eggs.... the rooster then started showing signs of stress. I had to separate the broody girls and their eggs, only one remained in the cage with the rooster. His stress became an increasing problem, so much so that he started running away from me in a panic when I opened the door (before he was eating from my hand). When the chicks hatched, he calmed down a bit, but he still ran away from me in a panic when he saw me and started attacking the little chickens. I had to separate him and I put him in the outdoor chicken coop where his broody girl was who was leading the bigger chickens. He calmed down there, he stood at one place, he stopped eating, he stopped drinking. He stopped running away from me (probably because he didn't have the strength anymore), he started falling off his feet.
Now he is separated alone in a quarantine cage, he tries to eat, he tries to drink, but he can't seem to see and aim for food/water (but he sees, because he flinches when I wave my hand above his head). He starts drinking when I put his head in the drinker , he starts eating when I bring the food near him...
I checked him for mytes, he had very few bugs (but nothing that should be a problem), I washed him all over in warm water with shampoo against mytes (that bath was very good for him, he calmed down completely and is not afraid of me more).
He doesn't have diarrhea, there are no signs of illness in his (throat, nostrils, eyes...), he's just very weak, standing in one place...
I gave him electrolytes and food with an additive against coccidiosis, so far there is no progress.
This is a young rooster, about 18 months old. He has already won 3 exhibitions as a champion, I really care about him!

I called the vet and he says to kill him, there is no help!
There is bird flu at the moment and the vet is not accepting birds in the office.

Hello! Can you offer him raw yolk? Can you force feed him so he stops losing weight? I would also dose him with b complex and vitamin e in case it's neurological, and give him an Epsom salt bath. The magnesium in an Epsom salt bath is soothing on their nervous system.

Your vet sounds terrible, your rooster symptoms have nothing to do with avian flu.

Hello! Can you offer him raw yolk? Can you force feed him so he stops losing weight? I would also dose him with b complex and vitamin e in case it's neurological, and give him an Epsom salt bath. The magnesium in an Epsom salt bath is soothing on their nervous system.

Your vet sounds terrible, your rooster symptoms have nothing to do with avian flu.
Yes, I force-feed him and he seems to accept it very well!I haven't given him raw egg yolk yet, but I give him "starter for chickens" mixed in salted bread (I make balls and feed him that way) I will definitely try the Magnesium/Epsom salt bath, thanks for the advice!

Hi ikoCRO. I know this may sound pretty simple, but have you tried a little soft music, to soothe him? It can sometime lift people from the "blues" too...just a thought. But I would definitely give him that Epsom salts bath. I read on here that it's very good.

Hi ikoCRO. I know this may sound pretty simple, but have you tried a little soft music, to soothe him? It can sometime lift people from the "blues" too...just a thought. But I would definitely give him that Epsom salts bath. I read on here that it's very good.
I sing to mine! I have a terrible singing voice, but they still seem to like it.

Greeting!
In my many years of poultry breeding, for the first time I am faced with the problem that my silkie rooster currently has.
It all started when all four of his silkie girls became broody. They were horrible, they stole each other's eggs, they lay on top of each other, they broke the eggs.... the rooster then started showing signs of stress. I had to separate the broody girls and their eggs, only one remained in the cage with the rooster. His stress became an increasing problem, so much so that he started running away from me in a panic when I opened the door (before he was eating from my hand). When the chicks hatched, he calmed down a bit, but he still ran away from me in a panic when he saw me and started attacking the little chickens. I had to separate him and I put him in the outdoor chicken coop where his broody girl was who was leading the bigger chickens. He calmed down there, he stood at one place, he stopped eating, he stopped drinking. He stopped running away from me (probably because he didn't have the strength anymore), he started falling off his feet.
Now he is separated alone in a quarantine cage, he tries to eat, he tries to drink, but he can't seem to see and aim for food/water (but he sees, because he flinches when I wave my hand above his head). He starts drinking when I put his head in the drinker , he starts eating when I bring the food near him...
I checked him for mytes, he had very few bugs (but nothing that should be a problem), I washed him all over in warm water with shampoo against mytes (that bath was very good for him, he calmed down completely and is not afraid of me more).
He doesn't have diarrhea, there are no signs of illness in his (throat, nostrils, eyes...), he's just very weak, standing in one place...
I gave him electrolytes and food with an additive against coccidiosis, so far there is no progress.
This is a young rooster, about 18 months old. He has already won 3 exhibitions as a champion, I really care about him!

I called the vet and he says to kill him, there is no help!
There is bird flu at the moment and the vet is not accepting birds in the office.
Read through as best as I can, I may have missed points so please forgive me if I ask something which you have already mentioned, I'm a little tired this morning.

Can we see photos of him and his poop please? Is his crop filling and emptying as normal?
Is he wobbly on his feet, able to walk?

I definitely WOULD NOT kill him. Is that advice from an avian vet? If so, I'd be shocked and find another if possible.

I sing to mine! I have a terrible singing voice, but they still seem to like it.
That's great! I sing to mine all the time, and they do seem to like it. Babies feel calm and loved when their mothers sing to them, so why wouldn't baby chicks? For all we know, their mothers sing to them too. We can't understand if she does or not. By the way, my husband also has a "terrible" singing voice, but my three little dogs just love it! The cats really don't seem to care at all.

Attachments

• FDQZ2030.JPG
    FDQZ2030.JPG
    211.5 KB · Views: 2
Read through as best as I can, I may have missed points so please forgive me if I ask something which you have already mentioned, I'm a little tired this morning.

Can we see photos of him and his poop please? Is his crop filling and emptying as normal?
Is he wobbly on his feet, able to walk?

I definitely WOULD NOT kill him. Is that advice from an avian vet? If so, I'd be shocked and find another if possible.
Sorry for the late reply, but the rooster died.
His feces were normal, he could not stand on his feet, he had no mytes, his throat was clear, his internal organs were normal...
He could NOT eat or drink on his own, I had to feed him by hand, and he drank water on his own - only when I put a bowl near his beak!
He survived like that for a week and finally just died.:(
Fortunately, I managed to raise 7 young offspring from him, and the two roosters are very fond of their father, maybe in the end everything will end well!:fl

Sorry for the late reply, but the rooster died.
His feces were normal, he could not stand on his feet, he had no mytes, his throat was clear, his internal organs were normal...
He could NOT eat or drink on his own, I had to feed him by hand, and he drank water on his own - only when I put a bowl near his beak!
He survived like that for a week and finally just died.:(
Fortunately, I managed to raise 7 young offspring from him, and the two roosters are very fond of their father, maybe in the end everything will end well!:fl
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs

Back
Top Bottom