A My Pet Chicken review

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by CarrieW, Mar 6, 2012.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    I don’t normally write bad reviews, but I really felt the need to this time. I have ordered from My Pet Chicken in the past, very happy and no problems. Then this year…

I made my order to My Pet chicken on December 1, 2011 for this year. I ordered 10 Easter Eggers, 5 Salmon Faverolles, 5 Rhode Island Reds and 5 Black Copper Marans for a Feb 27 ship date. I thought ordering as early as I did that there would be no problems, how wrong I was. I spent the weekend before my ship date preparing my brooder, and had it all ready to go. Wednesday came and I waited all morning for a call from the post office that never came. I finally called and they told me that all the chicks that came in that day had been picked up. OK, they are running a day late, I’ll get the call Thursday. Nope, no call on Thursday from the post office. But I did get a call from My Pet Chicken asking if my chicks had arrived. Had to tell them no. They told me I might have chicks that hatched late and didn’t go out till Tuesday and to wait one more day. Still no call from the post office on Friday.

I get another call from My Pet Chicken on Friday telling me there had probably been a mess up with their tracking system and my chicks just didn’t get shipped out to me. Lovely. The gal I talked to was very nice and really trying to fix things. Long story short, I couldn’t get another ship date till April 30. What??? Are you kidding me??? And I couldn’t get my Salmon Faverolles and would have to pick another breed. And for all my trouble? One free Easter Egger chick.

In my opinion this is not a way to run a business. I made my order early to work around my schedule and planned vacations, and they charged my credit card at that time. They had my money for almost 3 months. Again, just in my opinion, they should have made things right and shipped my chicks the very next week. This was a screw up on their part, and they should have had to deal with the trickle down and made things right.

Needless to say, I have cancelled my order. I have bought chicks here in town. I now have 10 Easter Eggers and 5 Rhode Island Reds that I had to drive down to New Mexico to get and 5 Barred Rocks and 5 Buff Orpingtons that I got from a feed store here in town. No Black Copper Marans or Salmon Faverolles for me this year, which has totally bummed me out. I have a beautiful Black Copper Marans rooster and I wanted to get a few more girls for him so I could hatch out some eggs when one of the girls went broody.

I have tried to state the facts here as I see them, but I am still very upset. My Pet Chicken will not get any business from me again.

2. harriedhomemaker

harriedhomemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Wow. You weren't kidding when you said my story was similar to yours. :(

Boo!!

3. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    Well, today was moving out to the coop day!! All my new babies that I got in March after the My Pet Chicken fiasco are out of my garage and into the coop. I get my garage back!!! I am go glad I got some chicks this year locally, sad that I didn't get what I wanted, but I would STILL be waiting for the April 30 ship date they tried to give me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by