A new lame chick

ChickNalabama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Mobile, AL
Last week I bought 6 pullets at TSC. They have done great and I'm not too bad myself since its my first chicks!!
I had to go back today to buy more food and they had brand new bantams! So of course I had to get some! There was a little grey gimpy one, and it made me sad because in all my research before jumping in the deep end of backyard chickens, I know the different ones get picked on and sometimes even to death.
Well, she is home with me regardless. She wobbles and I find her on her back, seemingly unable to get up, like a turtle. I'm a nurse, so I have a syringe and I've been giving her water with it. She hasn't eaten any food yet. But they were just shipped in today so maybe she feels a little traumatized. Her legs don't appear to be broken, just a little wide set??
anyway, I need some help with her to make sure she survives.
I know better than to add them in with the older girls.

I'm really not sure but if I'd have to guess a day or two? They are super tiny.

I don't think it's splayed legs. But I'm hoping that its just cuz they are so little. I say they now because it looks like another one is doing the turtle thing.

Mix some sugar in the water, maybe some Pedialite if you have it. Get her some carbs and protein in that fluid if she is not eating.
Years ago, we had a rooster named Long John Silver who had a bad leg and he lived years.
Good Luck.

I put my chick in the box and hoped maybe that would help being with food and water but she didn't make it.
Thanks for all the ideas, I will keep them in mind for the future

Back
Top Bottom