a new mommy and my poor polish=( PIC'S ADDED

amacucumber

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
springfield, oregon
hello all as a new member i wanted to say thank you for all the topics and wealth of information this site offers.... Yay BYC
so i have a mixes flock and this has been an exciting couple of weeks.. good and bad... so i had one of my hens go broody we took her from the nest and were going to try to break her of it...lol 2 weeks in the yard and a wire bottom coop with a draft no luck.. i just felt bad so said forget it she is sted fast in being a momma.. another week of back in her reg nest and then i had a friend with 4 furtile eggs.. so 3 week so broody then i added eggs thinking she probably wouldn't sit the whole time but low and behold 3 of the 4 hatched
big_smile.png
.. i will post pics soon... on with my tale of my ladies... so momma has been in her own nest and letting one of my younger polish stay with her... this poor baby just doesn't seem to fit with the big girls untill yesterday:D they free range the yard all day and come bed time my little polish went to bed with the big girls... YAY ... i was so happy she went right to the nest and everyone was happy.... then
sad.png
i woke up this morning and she was huddled in the corner a bald mess:oops: she came running out to me and i cleaned her up and put rooster booster on her bloody but once beautiful head... it was heartbreaking since her sister fits in so well.... todays mission is to build her an adjoining apartment and little run so she can heal up and stay safe till she feels up to trying again... ohh and the new chicks are doing great day 4 and they are all over the yard eating and drinking with mom:weee any advice or comments ? i cant wait to read them.. thank you all

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Is there any chance that you have another small chicken that gets on well with the polish, without plucking her bald? Life is lonely for a single chicken, since they are flock animals. Plus, when re-introducing they tend to do better if there's more than one being re-introduced.

yes i do have another and did plan on letting them share the apartment...lol along with adjoining the 2 runs so they are in close proxmity....
smile.png
thank you for reaffirming my plan .. this will be the second intro the first involved 3 hens into an existing flock of 4 for a total of 7... my little polish is the only one who didnt mesh... i hope she does this time... heck even the new babies fit in better than she does=(

I have read many time about polish being picked on. Not the case in my coops. My little polish pullet Pearl is a fiesty little bird. She chases off the other chickens the same age as she is, only bigger. And goodness help them if they attempt to roost on her favorite roost - the top of the fan. She will chase them to the next county for that.

Good luck to you.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't blame you. Hopefully it will go well for you. I love my little polish Pearl. She's my buddy, likes to ride around on my shoulder while I do chicken chores. My polish cockerel is standoffish, but that's good. I don't like roos that are too comfortable with my presence.

yea my little polish comes and sits with me on the deck when the other girls are being mean..... she sits between my feet she knows she is safe there...lol she is bald with just her eyebrow feathers now:) she looks so sad

very cute store and a lesson story. I figure we all learn from everyones questions. Hey thats what this is all about anyway.

Good luck and welcome. Post Pics

Steve

so here are a couple picks first off my poor baby kalifa
106096_chickens_013.jpg

106096_chickens_007.jpg

now here is the new babies and mama....
nugget and mama fajita
106096_chickens_012.jpg

wyatt chirp, and baaak holliday
106096_chickens_008.jpg

106096_chickens_005.jpg

baak holliday
106096_chickens_001.jpg

this is our first babies ... we got the eggs fron a friend of a friend and dont know what they are???? except cute:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom