a "newbie" to chicken raisin' - What are the pro's & con's of having a rooster with 12 hens (all ban

joycemay

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
My Bantams have been raised together since they were born and I've had them since 72 hrs. old....Originally, I was thinking not to keep any roosters; but have "heard-tell" that it might be a good idea to keep one rooster....any thoughts out there for a "newbie" - really appreciate it...

By the way, of course, just loving my chicks! They are 10 weeks old today.....

Joyce, Saratoga County, NY

There are varying opinions on keeping roosters. Some keep them so they can have fertile eggs and hatch their own chicks. Some keep them to protect the flock. Mind you, a rooster is no match for most predators and will likely be killed while protecting the flock if it came down to him fighting something off. They also watch the sky for aerial predators. They keep peace among the hens (at least that's what I've read on here - I haven't actually witnessed it myself with mine). If you don't have a rooster, you may find that your hens are quite capable of keeping a lookout for predators on their own. I like having a rooster for several reasons. One is because I like to listen to them crow. Love that sound! I also want my hens to hatch their own eggs, or to be able to stick some eggs in the incubator if I want to grow my flock. Whether you keep a rooster or not is entirely up to you. There are pros and cons and you have to weigh them out for yourself.

Hi Bobbi:

thanks for replying to my post...you mentioned some thoughts I had too; i.e. I also love the rooster "crow"; roosters looking out for predators; keeping peace with the hens, etc.

appreciate your time in writing...

The pro's have been mentioned. I have two roosters in a flock of 20 birds. They are not a sure bet against predators but they help. Last year I was weeding the garden and the chickens always hang around watching when I do that. All of a sudden the rooster in the group made some sort of sound that scattered the hens. A second later a hawk swooped down and landed on the ground about three feet from the rooster and about 12 feet from me. The rooster "got tall" and fluffed himself up while the hawk sized up the situation before flying off. A little later, all was normal again. I think roosters are just beautiful birds as well.

The con's are that roosters are loud. Fortunately my neighbors haven't complained yet. They can also beat up the hens a bit. I have a couple with missing feathers along their back from being mated. The act of mating can be rough. I processed one rooster a year or so ago because he was terribly mean, mating or not. The other con is purely economical. If you don't need fertilized eggs and / or protection they consume food without a lot in return. I don't mind but some folks do.

Finally, it seems to me that the flock is somehow "different" with a rooster in the mix. I can't quite describe it but it seems more complete or something like that. Maybe it's me but that's ok!

I have large and bantam chickens, along with both sizes of roosters. They are wonderfull to keep the peace, round up the ones who like to wander off away from the group, they show the girls the best nest boxes to lay eggs in, watch the skies for hawks, does the alarm call when our harmless cat goes near the chickens, and more. With bantams, silkies and mille fleur d'ccle roosters are usually gentle. Also, roosters are gorgeous.

Last edited:
I think it totally depends on the rooster. A good rooster is an asset to his flock. The flock dynamics work better, he breaks up hen fights before there is blood drawn, he shows his hens where the goodies are, he will round them up and get them under cover if he sees a predator (although I have lost many, many hens to predators and have never lost even one rooster, so I don't think most roosters will sacrifice themselves for their hens). You will also have fertile eggs to put under a broody or in an incubator if you need replacements.

A bad rooster will make everything more stressful for everyone. He'll rape the chickens (mounting by force, not dancing for them, spurring them or pulling feathers) and/or he will attack you, which wrecks your enjoyment in your flock. Since these behaviors have a genetic component, you won't want to hatch eggs from him because you won't want to perpetuate these behaviors in your flock. Also, a rooster can be hard on your hens' feathers, and you may start seeing bald patches just in front of the tails of his favorites. The hens don't care, but often their owners do.

I like having roosters, and usually keep 3-4 in my flock. But I don't tolerate any aggressiveness whatsoever. The first time a rooster tries to intimidate me (coming up to me with his head lowered and his feathers fluffed up) I squawk and shout and chase him all over the pasture, and if I can catch him, I pin him down to the ground until he stops struggling. That usually does the trick for the rooster who's just seeing if I can be intimidated into letting him be the alpha roo. But if a rooster comes after me a second time, he's culled that very day.

I would also recommend no trying to tame your rooster. Let him be a bit intimidated by you. Make sure he moves away from you when you walk towards him. Minimal handling will accomplish this. When you pick up and pet a rooster, you are telling him in chicken language that he's higher in the pecking order than you--subordinate birds groom the alpha bird, and the alpha bird has the highest perch. So tame your hens if you'd like, but let that rooster know that you are the boss.

My roosters come running when I call the flock, but move away from me if I move towards them. This is a show of respect towards me, and just right.

I also watch his behavior towards the hens. I only have one rooster right now (lots of cockerels, but they're not in the main flock yet) and I'm thinking of culling him. He's just not great, and he doesn't dance for the hens--just mates them. Poor girls are losing feathers at the back of their heads, not just above the tail, since he grabs the backs of their heads to hold them still for mating. So although he is a reasonably good rooster, I keep giving him the side-eye trying to decide what to do with him even though he's never shown any aggression towards humans.

Roosters are advanced chicken keeping. I would always recommend a person get at least a year of chicken keeping under their belt before getting one.

Last edited:
"Roosters are advanced chicken keeping. I would always recommend a person get at least a year of chicken keeping under their belt before getting one."

I think that there is a lot you learn about chickens and interacting with them. I too think that hens are the best way to start. Hens without roos, I find more friendly to me, looking to me for treats.

Roosters change that, the girls tend to fall in love with the roo, and kind of leave you out. Roosters need some experience, many will need to be culled if they become dangerous to you or others in your family.

I like having a roo, and there are benefits, but I did not get a rooster until I had kept chickens 3 or 4 years. One must always be aware of the rooster, and what vibes he is sending out.

If you have small children, I strongly recommend not having roosters until the youngest is 6-8 years old.

Mrs K

Last edited:
you've already received wonderful and varied knowledgeable feedback. it all depends on what you want, what your 'plans' for the flock are, etc. and each one of us have a 'different' plan.

I raise Heritage Breed standard size poultry and Easter Eggers - only the ones with the Muffs and Breards - look like true Ameraucanas in body conformation, etc - some even lay sky blue eggs but their legs are green not slate per the SOP.

Anyway - as usual - i digress - back to Roos. I sell hatching eggs, breed some of my birds, live out in the country so the crowing isn't an issue as I like it the louder the better. Also just love the look and personality of a good Roo. I also am always 'mindful' of the actions and temperament of my roos and if
one becomes aggressive toward me or other humans then he is immediately culled - no second chances.

Also concur that if small children are around you should NOT have a roo - can be very dangerous. My grand daughters 12 and 10 often help out with the
flock but I am always with them and they have been well taught about watching roos for problem or aggressive behaviors and how to 'act' while in the coop and run areas, etc. so as not to 'unknowingly provoke an attack'.

Let us know what you decide.

This is an interesting discussion. You know It brings a question to mind for me. I have Several Roos for breeding purposes.
One thing that I do is move hens around from time to time and I feel this is risky business unless i do it at night, and that is quite
difficult with my coop design...

My Roo Twizzler has the main flock and he is a very big boy, he doesn't like it when i go into the coop to mess with his girls. I'm wondering what
behaviours would minimize the risk when i am doing this.

BTW, I never turn my back on him, even when they are out ranging around. He isn't agressive but he lets me know that the girls are his.

Back
Top Bottom