a news story on illegal chickens in south florida

That sounds about right to me. Basically, thats what I do. My backyard actually has 2 sections, and our ACO recommended that I just move them over to the other side. So far, so good!
fl.gif
I haven't had ACO come back for 9 months! Just want it to stay that way, right?!
thumbsup.gif

Well, I live a little further out. There is literally only two houses on my street and one is empty, nor are they even relatively close to my home. However, on the next street over there are several homes, but we're sort of seperated by a small section of woods. My neighbors seem pretty nice, most of them don't speak english. They all seem pretty laid back, though. I do have a rooster, so I'm not sure if that will pose a problem later, but they also have dogs and cats that roam the streets...No one seems to complain about each other..This may be a good sign.

Last edited:
I love your story!! Just like you, I keep two illegal hens in my house. My husband think I am crazy! but he loves me and my two hens so he has to put up with them. When I had to get rid of my hens in Jan, I was so sad and depressed. So my sister offered to adopt my two hens but her HOA also told her to get rid of them. There are lots people willing to take my beautiful hens but I am too attached to let them go. Therefore, I made a decision to bring them home and keep them inside of my house as household pet!! I only let them out during the day when my neighbors is at work. My hens also knock on my door to let me know that they want to come inside to lay egg. If I have to go somewhere, I just call them in and put them in a huge dog cage. Therefore, no one will see them or take photo of them when I am not around (I also have a very mean wiener dog to keep me alert from stranger). Now I am planting bamboo around my house so no one can see from outside unless they have a airplane fly over my property. From your radio interview, I heard various parrots' voice, including a quaker parrot?? I also have 4 parrots as pet. They are just as noisy as dog!!

(a proud owner of blue-front amazon, african grey, sun conure, quaker, four Japanese quails and two hens)

I remember the chickens that took over a small Florida town some years ago. Now that was a great story.
Chickens..... 1
People........ 0

But urban chickens are nothing new, except to us modernites. Its been done many, many times in our past.
We've only re-discovered it and, typically, believe we have done something resounding.

When I was interviewed on NPR's "The Story" two years ago, that is one of the things I brought up - this really is nothing new.
We've only just forgotten it... until recently.

Last edited:
Exactly, Davaroo! Now, why don't others see it that way, right?!

And Pufferfish, thats what I do with my girls. Yes, they do come to the door to be let in to lay their egg! Who says that our chickens are dumb, not I!! I'm so happy that I'm not alone in this, but they are my pets, bottom line!!
thumbsup.gif
Yes, I DO have a quaker parrot! What a brat she is! She is in love with my silkies, and won't let you get near them!!!
lau.gif
Silly girl, at least we think she is girl!
tongue.png

Call your local AG extension office. They will call Zoning for you and find out. That's what i did and here in Polk county,fl you can have what ever ya like. Now in city is a little different but we are outside of it. Of course HOA's trump local laws.........

Back
Top Bottom