A peahen, or not a peahen ;)

chicken jedi

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 20, 2013

This angel dropped by our chicken coop a year ago and never left, which we are happy about!!! I am almost positive the beauty is a peahen, but I am not a peafowl expert in the least :). So I have come to you all for some help on the topic. I hope my picture attached ok, but if not let me know. Thanks!

Yay now we know what she is!!! Okay well now you can tell people you have a cameo peahen.

What a find I have yet to have a peafowl show up at my place even with three peacocks calling this year. I guess there aren't any runaway peafowl around here.

You are correct it is a peahen.
thumbsup.gif

Normally, now this doesn't work for all peafowl varieties, but normally when talking about India Blue peafowl (the basic variety) males will have barred wing feathers and peahens have the solid brown wing feathers.

I don't know if it is the lighting but I can't see green on her neck. Does she have green neck feathers? If she has some other color neck feathers than I don't think she is an India Blue peahen...
Here is an India Blue Peahen:
Neck feathers

Full bird

No she is too big to be brown colored in the neck and her spurs are too big. She might be some other variety I was thinking maybe a charcoal or a bronze peahen...Maybe even a purple peahen...

Could you get better photos of her neck?

Hmm I am not quite sure what she is...I don't raise any of the varieties similar to that so hopefully someone who has more experience with varieties other than the more common varieties will be able to know for sure, but in that second photo she does seem to have very light colored brown feathers overall, which now leads me to think she is a cameo peahen.

This isn't my photo but I found it on Google and I thought this cameo peahen might resemble your peahen:

Back
Top Bottom