a pip! yay!!!

The chick is pecking at the hole, but I dont know if he will get out on his own or not. What should I do?????
Give it another hour or so. If it's struggling to get out and seems stuck you can start removing more of the shell. If the membrane appears to be still or dried out, gently break it open since that would mean that the chick is shrink wrapped.

Thank you. This is the first time I have done this and I am so nervous. Hopefully by twelve fourty he is out
It sounds like it's doing fine. Sometimes they take longer than 24 hours to hatch. As it mentions in the article, they need time to absorb the yolk. In my experience, the first to pip is never the first to hatch.

So I helped some more, and using the coconut oil I saw that there is blood vessels still. I made the hole a bit bigger and he is back in the incubator
edit: how long till the blood vessels recede/i(or it) will be able to help/hatch?

Last edited:
should i wait till tomorrow till i help it or later tonight?
It depends. At this point, I would probably help it out later tonight, but there are people who would say to leave it alone. Since I'm not there, I can't really judge to see how much energy the chick has or how much it needs help.

You will make the right choice, no matter what the outcome is.

so i helped it around 7 last night and added a bunch of water this morning, then left till two and i just got back and helped some more, the chick is still absorbing yolk and blood, and i don't know if he will live or die at this point. i have come to the conclusion that i may be doing more harm than good.:( he pipped in the middle of the shell, not really on the top end of the egg. i guess i am trying my best.

thank you so much. i am so mad at myself for not reading a section of an article- the section that would have told me that he would be fine because he never internally pipped. if i had read that, it would have told me that he would most likely hatch on his own, he would have just been late and i wouldn't have had to do anything. ugh!! so frustrated that i might have screwed things up! so now, all i can do is add water and pray for the little baby.:fl

thank you so much. i am so mad at myself for not reading a section of an article- the section that would have told me that he would be fine because he never internally pipped. if i had read that, it would have told me that he would most likely hatch on his own, he would have just been late and i wouldn't have had to do anything. ugh!! so frustrated that i might have screwed things up! so now, all i can do is add water and pray for the little baby.:fl
That is one of the dangers of assisting. You've certainly learned a lot, though, right?

Back
Top Bottom