A quick Corid dosage question

I just keep a bag of plastic syringes in my med cupboard - - I get them at the co-op, and they are handy for measuring this stuff and also for feeding sick or injured animals.

All the conversions just give me a headache, LOL!

This morning when I went to check the birdies I found several puddles of blood. I found the one that did it and it is only 1. DH brought home the corrid when he got off work but I needed a dosage to be able to start her on it. She is in a pen with 1 other chick and they are both about a month old maybe two, I would have to check my records. anyway. They are also in a pen with a few adults. There have been no bloody poops till this morning and none the rest of the day. I had a chick I took from that same pen and 2 days after I put it in the brooder I found it dead with spots of blood where it had pooped during the night and early morning. There where no signs of this at all before that morning.

the one out in the pen is eating and drinking. It does feel a little lighter than the other one it's same age. And it's wings are a little droopy. I plan to start the corrid in the morning for all that are in that pen and the pens of those that I let out and get around the others in the pen with the chick with the bloody poop. Or should I just treat the one pen with the sick chick?

What I need to know is the dosage is 2 tsp of corrid to a gallon of water. Does this need to be refreshed everyday or leave it in the water container till it's gone. I normally change the water twice a day.

when dosing like that my Vet said the meds in the water need to be changed every 24 hours or the dosage degrades -gets weaker

Ok, I thought it would be better to change it. They don't dring a gallon of water in a days time so i'll do a tsp for a half gallon. If they do go thru it i'll give them more when I normally redo everybody's water in the afternoon. That way it don't get wasted.

Thanks for the info.

When I have to dose I use a gallon water jug and then just pour out 1/2 then change it later or add more later. We have 60 now in all stages of growth from 1 week to 1 year. Crazy days and good luck.

Well, bad news this morning. The chick was dead before I got it started on the Corrid. There is 1 left in the pen and the rest are adults. Those tow where always right together and now this morning it was on the other side of the pen just looking at it's buddy. I feel heartbroken for the one that's gone and the one thats left.

It's strange that yesterday morning was the only time it pooped blood. There was none in the pen this morning.
idunno.gif

I have the corrid ready mixed and ready to go outside. I just had to let ya'all know the little white one didn't make it, From what I've read Cocci don't kill this fast. Last time I had a bout with it. A few died fast and then everybody else was ok. This itme I only had the 4 young ones to start out with in that pen. And 2 have died from this the next day after I discovered it. And they where eating and drinking.

I wonder if it may be something else they are getting into instead of cocci. The only place they've all been is that pen and the tomato plants. They all love to roll in the dirt and nibble on the tomato's they can reach. Dh fertilizes them but I don't let them out for a few days after he does.

New to being a chicken mama and all of the illnesses. Saw bloody poo this morning and started corid today. Isolated 3 that looked sick. All 7 weeks old. They are drinking okay. What are the chances they will survive. All of them seemed fine yesterday.

New to being a chicken mama and all of the illnesses. Saw bloody poo this morning and started corid today. Isolated 3 that looked sick. All 7 weeks old. They are drinking okay. What are the chances they will survive. All of them seemed fine yesterday.

Hey Eggie! I am sorry about your chicks! I just went through this with 9 chicks that were 3 weeks old and 1 very sadly didn't make it past 3 days from start of corid. She was the first to show symptoms, which was just one bloody poop but otherwise a happy bird. Cocci really does get ugly fast so it is good that you started treating it right away. In my case, I thought the vaccine had them covered and didn't realize what I was dealing with right away which cost me valuable time.

It is important that you make sure they are getting enough food and water. If they look ruffled, hunched over, standing off alone AT ALL then boil an egg and get them to eat. Don't wait until they are too weak and no longer have the will for food. They need more calories when they are sick.

Also, ensure the bedding is dry and keep waterer elevated to minimize it being contaminated. Add extra shavings to keep it especially dry where they sleep. Watch the rest of the chicks closely (that you are not treating) because they are very much at risk, as I am sure you know.

I hope you have better luck :hugs

Last edited:
Hey Eggie! I am sorry about your chicks! I just went through this with 9 chicks that were 3 weeks old and 1 very sadly didn't make it past 3 days from start of corid. She was the first to show symptoms, which were just one bloody poop but otherwise a happy bird. Cocci really does get ugly fast so it is good that you started treating it right away. In my case, I thought the vaccine had them covered and didn't realize what I was dealing with right away which cost me valuable time.

It is important that you make sure they are getting enough food and water. If they look ruffled, hunched over, standing off alone AT ALL then boil an egg and get them to eat. Don't wait until they are too weak and no longer have the will for food. They need more calories when they are sick.

Also, ensure the bedding is dry and keep waterer elevated to minimize it being contaminated. Add extra shavings to keep it especially dry where they sleep. Watch the rest of the chicks closely (that you are not treating) because they are very much at risk, as I am sure you know.

I hope you have better luck :hugs
Thank you for the advice. Ill give boiled eggs tonight!

I am not a vet just a chicken person of over 60 yrs experience

and still learning

I asked Speckled hen last week what the cc's are in amt's

GLH ASKED
Speckled hen what amt of tsp is the 9cc or 6cc?
thanks for helping out here

Glenda L Heywood Brookings SD
[email protected]
speckledhen
Queen of the Flock/Moderator

Glenda, the Corid liquid I use is the 9.6% solution. Costs me about $20 for 16 ounces. It's not easy to find around here, but First State Vet supply right now has a special on the powdered Corid, which may be a good deal.

5 cc's- 1 tsp

10 cc = 2 tsp. so, I'd say that a teaspoon and a half would do for about 6 cc.

For those who dont know, cc = ml, so if you have a measuring device that measures in ml, you can use that in place of cc's. GLH
so I guess it would be 2 tsp

and the ladies who suggested this is wrong

sorry for the misinterpertation of their posting

I will put it tsp in stead of tbsp as was told several weeks ago by one of the ladies
sorry for that thnaks for helping me out here

I originally said 2 tsp but was dramatically corrected on tbsp
any questions just email me
I sent you an e-mail, Glenda ... I need help.

Back
Top Bottom