A Rat???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by UNCLEG, Nov 9, 2015.

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    I quit with chickens earlier this year but through a string of events I up until last week had 5 fancies 1 Frizzed Cochin and 4 polish Juveniles. All have been happy healthy and growing great. Earlier last week I found two in hen house dead, one had an injury on neck and the other had had its insides eaten out. Saturday morning i found another in hen house with insides missing and my Cochin was missing feathers. The pen is very secure, other than snakes i have had no problems with predators until now. I was unable to check them this morning, but saw nothing in pen when I left for work. I'm guessing the other 2 are dead also, i have no idea what this was other than a large rat that has come out of the swamp since all the flooding but I am not sure. I would really like to trap it before i burn the pens and coops down...I'm done.
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    It could be rats. Or a mink or weasel (ruthless killers that squeeze through the tiniest holes and return until they've decimated your entire flock). I hope its a rat, as mink and weasel are super sneaky and very difficult to get rid of. Bait your trap with a piece of chicken and see what you get (I like to use liver). Best of luck!

Sorry for your loss :hugs
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Jan 26, 2007
    Well the Rat got my last two birds. I don't really get to attached to my birds but for some reason I got attached, I guess because they were my oddball bunch and so friendly. Anyway I am and was angry, left the carcass in hen house in hopes attracting the rat back, also left a large package of rat poison in there...I hope he eats until he explodes. This weekend if weather is good I will be burning the coops and houses, trying to take down all that wire would be a nightmare. I'm done with chickens for awhile, maybe in the future when I can afford one of those high dollar fancy pens, I will get one and get a couple of fancies, near my pattio...kind of a chicken aviary. Enjoy your birds PEACE OUT.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hey G-

We hope to see you around again sooner rather than later. Take care in the meantime.

-Another one of us who thought I was done
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Sir, I don't know you, but this saddens me.
  6. mommadearest

mommadearest Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2015
    Northern Ny
    I do understand you're frustration, I'm starting again with babies and i've been trying to think as those predators do and cover all the bases. It is a task for sure, If i fail fast i will most likely call it a day too, I

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanx everyone...I got my start here when I won some eggs in some sort of a BYC contest..they were Phoenix and Buff O's. My first hatch, Someday I will pick it up again...with a fresh start.
  8. tinalupan

tinalupan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    Call me ruthless, but I used a what I call dead bait. I don't see much of the predators hanging around my flock of birds in large pens anymore. They would love to eat potted meat I buy from the dollar store and mixed with my formula. I only have my chickens and me, no kids, no cats nor dogs in my area. That's why I feel confident on what I do.
  9. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    Would you describe dead bait please. Share with us.
  10. tougholdbird

tougholdbird Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    This sounds exactly what happened on our property last year! I doubled the chicken wire including 2 foot apron on ground..both sides of fence and pens.
    I already use flight netting because of owls and hawks.

I had traps set everywhere, went to motion detecting and dogs. IT was fearless!

Finally started securing chickens in their individual houses every night which are on pallets. It was a pain but I haven't had a death since.

I have enormous rats here from the orchards and blackberries but they are after feed and I trap them with # 2 gopher traps. These also do well on skunks and possums.

Everyone I talked with says something from the weasel family was the culprit.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by