karenmragan

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Grand Junction, CO
Hello everyone!
I need help identifying this breed. They are six weeks old.
20200106_132956.jpg My best guess is Cream Legbar Cockerels. Due to the head tuft and barring. But their shanks are grey with very slight feathering. I got them from an assortment of rare breeds by Meyer Hatchery.
20200106_131919.jpg CL cockerel? Or another breed entirely? 20200106_130334.jpg Here is another one next to my Black Copper Maran cockerel. This one doesn't have reddened comb and wattles, which doesn't make sense. 20200106_132527.jpg Here is a close up of the crest.

Attachments

• 20200106_132956.jpg
    20200106_132956.jpg
    655.5 KB · Views: 13
The feathered legs, along with the pretty much solid black coloring, I would say rules out CCL. Being from Meyer, they might be olive eggers. Meyer uses their CCLs in their olive egger crosses. A cross between a CCL and a marans could easily result in a crested feather legged barred chick that has a single comb.

Hello everyone!
I need help identifying this breed. They are six weeks old.
View attachment 1995881 My best guess is Cream Legbar Cockerels. Due to the head tuft and barring. But their shanks are grey with very slight feathering. I got them from an assortment of rare breeds by Meyer Hatchery.
View attachment 1995882 CL cockerel? Or another breed entirely?View attachment 1995884 Here is another one next to my Black Copper Maran cockerel. This one doesn't have reddened comb and wattles, which doesn't make sense.View attachment 1995887 Here is a close up of the crest.
If the legs are feathered at all, they are not Cream Legbars. In my opinion whatever they are, some of them appear to be pullets.

I would say that they are Olive eggers because my olive egger sort of looks looked that.

They basically mix a crested cream legbar with another breed to get the olive colored eggs.

Hoping that is what you have because their eggs are beautiful!

This is what my Olive Egger Eggs looked like...

IMG_20190523_120723.jpg

IMG_20190523_121140.jpg

The feathered legs, along with the pretty much solid black coloring, I would say rules out CCL. Being from Meyer, they might be olive eggers. Meyer uses their CCLs in their olive egger crosses. A cross between a CCL and a marans could easily result in a crested feather legged barred chick that has a single comb.
Wow! I remember thinking they look like cuckoo marans with crests. Makes sense.

I would say that they are Olive eggers because my olive egger sort of looks looked that.

They basically mix a crested cream legbar with another breed to get the olive colored eggs.

Hoping that is what you have because their eggs are beautiful!

This is what my Olive Egger Eggs looked like...

View attachment 1995936

View attachment 1995938
Just lovely! I am so excited for the first eggs.

Back
Top Bottom