A Roofing Question

jakesbigpapa

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 27, 2012
Ithaca, NY
Hey folks....I'm building my first coop/run. I'm using asphalt shingles on the roof over the run, and I was wondering, do I need to worry about the roofing nails being exposed on the underside of the sub roofing? In other words, do I need to worry about my birds flying seven feet up into a solid roof, and impaling themselves on a 1/4 + inch of exposed roofing nail? Probably a dumb question, but I'm brand new to this.

You know, I was thinking about this too!!! Because me being inexperienced trying to put some parts of my coop together, the nails are sticking out in some places. Most places are very subtle, like between the corners of the roof.

Depends on how close you put the rooting to the roof. If your really concerned get a sheet of 1/8 plywood or something and tack it to the roof. My birds roost about 3 feet below the roof and have never gotten close to it. They are not crowded either so they don't jostle for position much.

The ceiling in my coop is 6-7ft above coop floor and the top roost just 2ft below roof bay. But what I did was insulate the roof to shield out summer heat,asphalt shingles really suck up the sun and you will feel it in the coop. Once I insulated the ceiling bays,its a least 15 degrees cooler in there. Food for thought.

My coop won't have asphalt shingling, just the run. So, there's no concern about nails inside the ceiling of the coop.

As for insulation, I will have a 1 foot space between the roofing and the coop ceiling. I guess it'll be like an attic with a hinged access. During the summer I won't be insulating this area to help with escape of heat inside the coop. During the winter, I plan to insulate this compartment to keep the heat in.

Sorry guess I didn't fully read your first post. Have reread it,I would not worry to much,you can always just bend them over or use staples. A lot of roofers use roofing staples instead of nails nowadays.

I have a similar situation with my nest box lid. What I did what took a 6" disc grinder and ground off all the points. it doesn't take as long as you would think and the problem is solved safely for the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom