A sad story from craigslist

The link has expired, so I cannot read the story, but I would like to explain another side to this that is true.

When my mom was a little girl, back in the '60's I believe, my grandparents purchased a farm about a 30 minute drive from where I live now.

In order to fill their farm with the desired chickens, ducks, geese, etc that they wanted my grandpa put an ad in the local paper. "Willing to take any and all unwanted Easter chicks, ducks, geese, and rabbits."

My mom said it wasn't long before people were bringing them chickens, ducks, geese, and rabbits that had been purchased for kids for Easter. They populated their farm with this ad. They sometimes named these animals, raised them up, and ate them.

My mom is now in her 50's and she still tells us quite often about how they managed to get all their farm poultry because of people wanting to unload their Easter pets.

I don't agree with buying ducklings or chicks for kids for Easter. My kids do have their own ducks and chicks, but we are on a small farm, and they are here until they die or we eat them.

Quote:
I didnt' read the whole topic so far, but came across this reply...
I am not trying to pick on anyone here, just gonna say what I think.

Easter is always a time when people are out looking for those 'cute' baby animals that are sooo popular at Easter time...
DON'T...
If your getting them JUST because they are cute and people associate them with Easter time....STOP BEFORE YOU START....
Every year people try and get these cute little babies, because 'oh there kids would just love them'...Don't get them because your kids would love them while they're cute little babies(coloring added to feathers/fur or not)....If they aren't gonna love them and take care of them after the baby cuteness wares off save your self the money and the animal the agony of being once again 'dropped off' somewhere....
It gets under my skin when I hear people saying how cute they are, and the kids would just love taking care of baby animals...I have on occasion asked what they would do with the animal 'grows up'...They mostly respond with getting rid of it, or taking to a local park (ducks inparticular)....That ALWAYS helps me to tell them I will NOT be selling/giving them any babies....( I am not implying my responses to people on this site...I have heard it so many times at animal swaps--specially at this time of year)....
I guess if your going to get an animal wether you live in the city, suburbs, or country please plan on taking care of the animal it's whole life....Not just during the cute baby stages....
Obviously I understand about unforseen situations,or even raising for food, but in general I think my opinion is pretty clear as to what I am trying to say...
I really am not cold hearted, this whole baby cuteness-gotta have now for the holidays only thing just really gets to me....

Last edited:
O my goodness, what does the link say, it's expired. Oh and I got my chicks last year as a Easter present for the family and they are still going strong. I thought it through and had always wanted them.

I keep thinking about the teens I sometimes hear about that say that they ' "want to have a baby because babies are "cute" '

ah ha. Doesnt work that way. And not all babies(human) are cute.
I swear I dont know how it can be. But I have never seen a ugly baby animal.(duck, chick, horse, giraffe, elephant,dog, cat all cute)

You know, one of the saddest things I ever read was a "free to a good home" ad in the newspaper several years ago. It said, "Free to a good home. German Shepherd. Sweet, good with kids. Our daughter wanted a puppy but he isn't a puppy now and she doesn't want him anymore." Talk about teaching values.
sad.png

Quote:
There are plenty of baby bunnies in the world. I live by the park and pick them up when strangers dump them there.

Please please please spay or neuter your bunnies before you sell them or consider not breeding them at all. No one can resist a baby bunny, but most can't accept the difficulties adult pet bunnies present.

Back
Top Bottom